Unusually cloudy-ropey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepyemt

Reaction score
Hey all!
getting ready to bottle my mead and noticed it is unusually cloudy and ropey. In particular when I racking my cane seems to become lost somewhat behind it and the rim? Infected? I've used metabisulfite with it. It has had 5-6 months to settle out, I'm pretty sure it's not the yeast ... lactic acid? I seem to recall reading something somewhere ....
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
-sleepy:(

It might not be clear because it hasn't sat long enough. What was your OG, current SG and yeast used? Do you have a picture of this phenomenon?

Sounds like a ropy infection. It's caused by bacterial contamination, and it's called "rope" because it actually looks like strands of rope in the wine or mead. I don't think it's correctable at this point.

Damn! Thanks for the help .... Anyone know where I can read up on this, or on causes? So this is one that time doesnt heal .... bummer ....
thanks again

Latest posts

Back