Unplug the fermentation refrigerator when it's empty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
I just finished setting up my fermentation refrigerator. I know it's bad to have an empty fermenter but hey...it happens.

I'm wondering what you all recommend I do in between batches. It can sometimes be a month or more in between batches. I've thought about unplugging it completely but I don't want mold to start growing in there. I've left it open with a couple pieces of charcoal in there and it didn't get as moldy, but still got a bit. Don't want that nastiness in where my beer is and I don't want to have to clean it every time either.

The other thought was turn the fridge on for a day and let is sit 2 or 3. Then repeat.

What do you all recommend?

I just unplug it, clean it and wipe it down with sanitizer. Then prop the door open. I plug it in and set the controller when I start brewing and it's ready when the wort is.

I just finished setting up my fermentation refrigerator.

You mind telling what you did for a set up? I am trying to set one up. Looking at a frig and a freezer tomorrow. Order the Johnson temp controller digital.

Just getting ideas before I buy.

Thanks.

You mind telling what you did for a set up?

I bought this temperature controller:
http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc211000000-stage-prewired-temperature-controller-p-110.html

It is a dual stage which means it can be used for both heating and cooling at the same time. I use the fridge for cooling (obviously) and this for heating:
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWERS-EDGE-SPACE-HEATER-P518.aspx

I have the Ranco set to start heating when the temp drops below 66 and switch off when it gets to 68. Then if it goes above 70 it start cooling until the temp gets to 68.

I drilled a hole in the side of the fridge and I ran the temp probe through that. Based on Jamil's recommendation in a Brew Strong podcast, I tape the probe to the side of my carboy and wrap a layer of bubble wrap around that. Helps to measure the beer temp more than the ambient temp.

Any other info you need?

hafmpty,

thanks tremendously for the information. Going to get that temp controller for sure and the space heater. Still contemplating on drilling into the frig, seems like it may work without, but will see how it goes, then see if I have to drill.

read too to tape the probe to the carboy, plan on doing that.

Thanks again, you have been a great help. :mug:

No problem. Glad to help. I could have gotten away with not drilling, but I didn't want to mess with cords in the door. I just drilled and then squirted some expanding foam in the holes.

I think a lot of guys on here have used this controller. I just ordered two of them as well. It may not work for all applications, but they seem to be much cheaper and just as functional as other two-stage controllers.

I haven't built my ferm chamber yet, but I'll probably do something similar to the build Andriod did. I think this was the original thread for the build with this controller. Good luck!

Edit: Sorry, I just realized this has nothing to do with the OP. Oh well, maybe someone will find this info useful.

Or if you are feeling froggy order the Aquarium controller from Ebay for $11.00, a 15 amp 120vac relay and a plastic project box from Radio Shack. Assemble these items and you have a controller complete with hysteresis function for $25.00 including wire.

Back