United States CO2 Supply in danger of depletion during COVID-19

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snark_Wolf_Brewing

Snark Wolf Brewing
Reaction score
"Ethanol producers are a key provider of CO2 to the food industry, as they capture that gas as a byproduct of ethanol production and sell it in large quantities."

Ok, I'm confused. Are the ethanol producers the only ones that can make co2? I've seen threads on here where people are harvesting the co2 produced from fermentation to save on the bought co2 they have in their tanks. Why wouldn't the beer industry (and us home brewers) be any different?

Because of climate change, I thought we had too much co2.

Ok, I'm confused. Are the ethanol producers the only ones that can make co2? I've seen threads on here where people are harvesting the co2 produced from fermentation to save on the bought co2 they have in their tanks. Why wouldn't the beer industry (and us home brewers) be any different?

Because of climate change, I thought we had too much co2.

That's what I'm trying to figure out too. Is it only the ethanol plants in the US who are producing CO2 right now? o_O

That's what I'm trying to figure out too. Is it only the ethanol plants in the US who are producing CO2 right now? o_O

Probably not, but even if they only produce half the CO2 used, you now have supply cut by 40% to 50% while demand across industry probably hasn't dropped all by the same amount. Breweries might have slowed production, but refilling CO2 fire extinguishers, metal fabrication and the rest is still consuming, along with an increase in home brewer consumption.

Back