Unitank users: How do you avoid oxygen when connecting tri clamp accessories?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltAndMayhem

Reaction score
Hi.

I am a proud owner of a Unitank. I carbonated and kegged my beer today, and while I was connecting the carbonation stone I started thinking about how to avoid the evil oxygen. I had the carb stone to a T bend, and connected the stone to gas. Then I vented out of the t bend with a butterfly valve. I'd fill the t bend with co2 and vent a little/burp the bend before opening the bottom butterfly valve and letting beer flow into the t bend.

When done carbonating I'd connect the keg to the racking valve. I kept thinking that I have no way to purge the hose barb tri clamp and the space between the hose barb for oxygen.

How nazi are you about oxygen when kegging?

Hook up the tri clamp loosely, turn on CO2 and vent it for a few seconds and then tighten the tri clamp while gas is flowing

How nazi are you about oxygen when kegging?

Very.

I do the same as TheMadKing. I hate it though because the pressure invariably causes the gasket to deform and seal up the gap, requiring me to open up the tri-clamp more than I'm comfortable doing (I'm worried about having a fitting hit me in the face if I open the tri-clamp too far). I should probably do it with less CO2 pressure. I also plan to try a teflon gasket because they are more stiff and deform less.

I wish they would make fittings that had a little vent port on them to make it easier to purge the fitting and the hose.

You were asking about your racking hose which seems a bit more complicated because there's no CO2 involved. The answer is easy though: make sure there's enough CO2 pressure in your empty keg to purge the line and the space between the tri-clamp and the butterfly valve.

Last edited:
I no longer use a carb stone at all.
I find that if I spund to about 15 PSI, by the time I'm done cold-crashing to around 32F I still have over 10PSI in the unitank.

I then do a closed transfer to a purged keg, with no worries about O2. A couple days in the kegerator take care of the last bit of carbonating.

Back