Understanding Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suric

Reaction score
? When entering the mash tun weight in Beersmith, do you enter the actual weight of the Kettle and or the total amount of grain weight that it will possibly hold. I have received conflicting information. I just want the right info for Beersmith to properly calculate. My system has 3 s/s kettles I can do 20 gal. My kettle will hold 24-26 gals max. My mash tun actual weight with false bottom weighs 30lbs empty. I loose 2-3 gals below the false bottom. Any information will be appreciated.

it's part of the equipment profile, independent of any recipe, so enter the actual weight of the kettle

How does beer smith calculate whether you have too much grain for the batch you want to make. It doesn't ask For kettle dimensions?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

BeerSmith asks for kettle volume and takes the water volume and grain displacement to flag if you are over that capacity.

BeerSmith asks for kettle volume and takes the water volume and grain displacement to flag if you are over that capacity.

exactly. on the recipe, MASH button

mash volume.jpg

Back