underpitched lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerant

Reaction score
Got a pilsner going and had a feeling I underpitched when I made it. OG- 1.089; after 2 weeks I'm at 1.045. It's still slowly going and I'm not planning on a secondary; am going to leave it sit another 3-4 weeks. But I'm wondering if theirs anything I can do to help get down the FG. I can't really bring the temp up like an ale can I ? I used a safale lager yeast.

That's mighty pilsner at 1.089! I would not recommend raising it up to ale temps, as your yeast which are already stressed might throw off some weird stuff. I would suggest hydrating and pitching another pack of the same lager yeast and waiting it out.

What temp are you fermenting at?

That's mighty pilsner at 1.089! I would not recommend raising it up to ale temps, as your yeast which are already stressed might throw off some weird stuff. I would suggest hydrating and pitching another pack of the same lager yeast and waiting it out.

What temp are you fermenting at?

Ive been under 50f for 2 weeks. You don't think its to late to be tossing in more yeast? I do have a wyeat american lager sitting in the fridge but I don't want to take the chance on making a starter and tossing it in if it's to late in the process???

I would toss some more yeast like solavirtus suggested and leave the temp at 50F for another two weeks and see where the gravity is at. That is a huge Pils and it's going to take a while to munch through all that sugar. Keep us posted!

+1 on more time & probably more yeast. Did you only use one vial or packet of yeast and just pitch it in? If so, that would be seriously underpitching for an ale and lagers take much more yeast.

I've read that lagers take much more time anyway, however, so if you made the appropriate size starter it could just be chewing slowly.

+1 on more time & probably more yeast. Did you only use one vial or packet of yeast and just pitch it in? If so, that would be seriously underpitching for an ale and lagers take much more yeast.

I've read that lagers take much more time anyway, however, so if you made the appropriate size starter it could just be chewing slowly.

Used 16gms yeast; being a rookie didn't dawn on me till after a Pilsner is a Lager ... duhh. So is the consensus that I can make a starter and pitch more Wyeast lager even after 2 weeks?

Absolutely, lagers definitely need huge starters and one as big as the one you made will need to be huge. Keep the temp at 50F and you should be ok once you pitch more yeast but remember this is going to take a while.

Used 16gms yeast; being a rookie didn't dawn on me till after a Pilsner is a Lager ... duhh. So is the consensus that I can make a starter and pitch more Wyeast lager even after 2 weeks? And, do you think since I got the FG down halfway up to now do I need to make a starter to populate more yeast or can I just smack it and toss it? Thanks

Used 16gms yeast; being a rookie didn't dawn on me till after a Pilsner is a Lager ... duhh. So is the consensus that I can make a starter and pitch more Wyeast lager even after 2 weeks?

Wait, so did you pitch a packet of ale yeast initially? That would explain why they haven't done anything. They're just all asleep at 50F. You could either warm it back up to 60 and make an ale out of this thing, or try and pitch a FULL starter of lager yeast. Your call.

Wait, so did you pitch a packet of ale yeast initially? That would explain why they haven't done anything. They're just all asleep at 50F. You could either warm it back up to 60 and make an ale out of this thing, or try and pitch a FULL starter of lager yeast. Your call.

No - It was lager yeast.

Used 16gms yeast; being a rookie didn't dawn on me till after a Pilsner is a Lager ... duhh. So is the consensus that I can make a starter and pitch more Wyeast lager even after 2 weeks? And, do you think since I got the FG down halfway up to now do I need to make a starter to populate more yeast or can I just smack it and toss it? Thanks

Just an add on question to this before I do my starter. After I make the starter and am ready to pitch; should it be at the same temp as my beer- below 50f.

Latest posts

Back