Under-counter kegerator options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragnorg

Reaction score
I've been in the long and slow process of finishing my basement and from the start I planned on a half-kitchen / bar area. I'm hoping for a build that holds at least four corny kegs, ideally six.
While I theoretically could make room for a large chest freezer, I'd really prefer an integrated build under the back counter. I've researched some commercial units but it looks like I'd be paying a minimum of $2000 not counting the additional hardware... unless I really lucked out on Craigslist. I haven't found any residential units wide enough that also have a front instead of top door.

I'm leaning toward getting two or three mini-fridges, each holding two kegs a piece with external CO2 and the drink lines going to a shared tower. I expect this will be less efficient than a single unit, but will have the added bonus of allowing different temperature control (I'd like to do some sparkling wines in addition to soda, cider, etc).

I'd really like to have at least a little extra space (in the door ideally) for chilled mixers, soda, whatever.

I bought one of these to see what would fit:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Danby-Designer-4.4-cu-ft-Compact-Refrigerator/40465000?u1=&oid=233310.1&wmlspartner=9KjSAq22pfM&sourceid=33472921763458963006&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

It has a full-width freezer and I was able to bend the chill plate to get enough height. Unfortunately I can't get a single corny in due to the depth of the door shelving. The panel seems to be very much integrated into the door so I'm not sure if I have an option to remove it apart from cutting through it.

I've searched a few of these threads and see some fridge recommendations, though a lot of those models are no longer available.

What are the best mini/compact refrigerators that others have found for kegerator builds? What modifications did you make to get the kegs to fit?

I'm not the most experienced DIYer so I really appreciate any advice!

I'm just completing a basement remodel. I went through the same issues with a chest freezer. I've done a few keezer projects, but never a kegerator from a mini-fridge.

Rather than go the DIY route, I ended up going with a Kegco model that can hold 3 kegs:
(http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/kegco_k309ss-1_digital_kegerator.html)

I got mine for around $500. It maximizes the amount of space for your kegs, and requires no cutting or bending of fridge parts. You could do 2 of these and still be well under your $2000 for a commercial system.

I also added a 5 cu ft. under-cabinet fridge for bottles.

Thanks for the suggestion! A little pricey, but definitely much better than the commercial options. Unfortunately I'm guessing that assumes it is a stand-alone unit and wouldn't lend itself well to being built under the counter.

I think I'm second-guessing one of my initial requirements with the kegs... it's more about having a variety available than having a large quantity and I'm only in possession of two 5 gal cornys at the moment anyway. If I go with 2.5 gallon kegs I can very easily fit two in the model I got without modifying the door or even removing the freezer (though I think I want to do that anyway). The only modification I'll actually need is a hole to run the gas in and the liquid out.

Are you looking to do something like this? This is 2 keg fridges that I put under my bar. I had to extend the "collar" on top of the fridge to the bottom of the bar

bar back.jpg

Yeah, similar... though I was envisioning a shared tap tower for all of them. I'd like that more from a space perspective, though perhaps it would be more difficult to insulate/cool.

I'm also considering building a facade around the front to match the cabinets, but haven't given it too much thought yet.

This is the back side of the bar so I did not sweat the looks so much. One thing to keep in mine is that it will need air flow around it to work good. If you enclose it I would plan on a fan system to move air around it.

I plan to make a cast iron pipe tower for this in the future kind of like what b-boy did

Build a custom super insulated cabinet from wood, use the mini fridge internals to cool it...

Thanks for the response!

I had briefly considered that as well, but given my limited DIY expertise had some concerns that I could do it well.
For one, wouldn't moisture be a big problem with wood?
Secondly, I'm guessing if I were to have a much bigger cabinet capable of 4 to 6 cornys I'd need a more powerful compressor than what I'd find in the mini fridge... I'd probably have to salvage a chest freezer instead I imagine?
Finally, as I understand it the fridge has cooling lines running under the insulation that must not be ruptured. How would I build that into my custom insulated cabinet?

Maybe this is worth considering after all.

Mini fridge cooling is in the freezer shelf, the lines on the outside are to dump heat. A chest freezer would be even more complicated with all cool and hot lines in the walls. IF you use enough insulation the mini fridge compressor could do it, might take longer to cool a keg down but you could have a separate holding cooler(chest freezer/temp controller) to cold crash in before moving to the keg fridge. 4" Foam in the walls, use FRP board interior over it for water proofing...

I could build it...

Just had a thought... if you have space next to the bar use an upright freezer(hide it behind wood) with your lines coming out the side(drill a tiny hole JUST through the interior plastic and probe for lines with a stiff piece of wire or a nail) under the counter to the tower. Use a piece of insulated PVC for the lines and a smaller piece of PVC with a fan blowing cold into the tower...

Thanks for the suggestion! A little pricey, but definitely much better than the commercial options. Unfortunately I'm guessing that assumes it is a stand-alone unit and wouldn't lend itself well to being built under the counter.

Mine is under the counter, but I have about 3/4" on the sides for ventilation. There's about 1" at the top as well.

Mini fridge cooling is in the freezer shelf, the lines on the outside are to dump heat. A chest freezer would be even more complicated with all cool and hot lines in the walls. IF you use enough insulation the mini fridge compressor could do it, might take longer to cool a keg down but you could have a separate holding cooler(chest freezer/temp controller) to cold crash in before moving to the keg fridge. 4" Foam in the walls, use FRP board interior over it for water proofing...

I could build it...

Hmmm maybe I was misunderstanding then. I had found a couple other examples like this which made the cooling sound a bit different:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/a13106/diy-draft-step-by-step-kegerator-plans/

In either case whether those are the cooling lines or are for heat dissipation don't I still need them with a new cabinet?

My other thought would be what is best to use for a well-insulated door with a good seal...

I'm just completing a basement remodel. I went through the same issues with a chest freezer. I've done a few keezer projects, but never a kegerator from a mini-fridge.

Rather than go the DIY route, I ended up going with a Kegco model that can hold 3 kegs:
(http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/kegco_k309ss-1_digital_kegerator.html)

I got mine for around $500. It maximizes the amount of space for your kegs, and requires no cutting or bending of fridge parts. You could do 2 of these and still be well under your $2000 for a commercial system.

I also added a 5 cu ft. under-cabinet fridge for bottles.

Do you have this in a built-in installation? Web page says its' not build-in capable, and I've got a build-in application too.

I do have mine under a counter. There is a ~.75" gap around the sides of the unit, and ~1.5" at the top. The unit has a metal cage around the back, so there's a 2" gap against the wall as well. You can't get it closer than 2" from the back wall.

I haven't had any problems. I think there's plenty of airflow for the unit.

In my garage I have a standard college style kegerator. Usually it serves as my ferm fridge but it's about counter top height, which I like. I use it as an extension of my workbench. I also like that it's so much larger inside than many of the small fridges that have a freezer section. Still, I have been very tempted to hack it up and make a workbench enclosed with foam and build a giant ferm chamber. I figure if the kegerator can cool 15 gallon kegs it could keep a big ferm chamber 52ish degrees or so when necessary.

Are you looking to do something like this? This is 2 keg fridges that I put under my bar. I had to extend the "collar" on top of the fridge to the bottom of the bar

View attachment 404117

How did you "extend" the tower down thru the top? I am about to install my built-in do not want to bore a 5" hole so the tower passes thru.
Thanks!!!
J

How did you "extend" the tower down thru the top? I am about to install my built-in do not want to bore a 5" hole so the tower passes thru.
Thanks!!!
J

Replied to the PM, but thought I would post it here too:

I took a scrap length of 3" PVC pipe and cut it to fit between the bar top and the kegerator. Then, lined it with reflex wrap. After I slid the pipe in place I wrapped the outside with more reflex and used silver foil tape to hold it all in place. Its hidden so looks did not matter much. I then ran my lines and mounted the tower. I have small fans in the kegerator to help "push" cool air up the tower. I works pretty good. It's a bit of a pain if you have to move the kegerators- like when I dropped a cup of stout and had to get the sticky mess clean up, LOl

Back