Uncorking and recorking carbonated bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonalexdeval

Reaction score
I did my first mead about a year ago (it was an orange blossom kurt and Cathy's kit from northern brewer). I followed the instructions at the time and took gravity readings, etc., and it's now tasting pretty good in the bottles.

One minor problem: it's supposed to be a sweet mead, and it is... but the last two bottles I've opened have been lightly carbonated! I guess the yeasts have decided to restart. It's not significant carbonation by any means, but enough to tell that it's lightly so when tasted after opening.

So I assume I can pop all the corks and re-cork with new, sulfited corks. But will this really release much carbonation? Seems like I don't really have a choice since it's in regular wine bottles. It will release some, but I guess I'll just have to do it and hope it stops soon.

It's Lalvin 71B with OG of 1.112 and FG of 1.030... 15 lbs. honey in 5 gal, etc. as per kit instructions.

Well, I just went down and did it. Was pretty easy with a bench uncorker and corker. All were mildly carbonated like clockwork. But I popped a bottle on the rest of my meads and none were carbonated so it appears to be an isolated incident. Long aging appears to be recommended...

Assuming you didn't degas your mead aggressively, sometimes a very light, petulant carbonation can just be from residual dissolved CO2 from the fermentation...it doesn't *necessarily* mean bottle re-fermentation. Did you stabilize the mead before bottling? What was your FG, yeast strain, and final ABV?

FG was 1.030, 71B, with ABV of about 14% I think. I didn't stabilize that first batch, no. It was my first mead and the kit instructions said just bottle after 3 months in tertiary. I guess you may be right... I didn't think about residual CO2. Anyway I recorked as it was pretty easy.

1.030 sure does give plenty of sugar to continue to referment, but 71B tops out at 14%, so I don't think you'll go too much further even if your carbonation is due to a small amount of continued fermentation.

Latest posts

Back