Um HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texaviator23

Reaction score
I brewed an American Wheat nine days ago, the OG was 1.044 and it took nine days to ferment with a FG of 1.008. I racked to secondary and added cranberry extract, and now its ferminting again an about to come out of the secondary. What should I do next.....

I wouldn't worry too much about the activity in your secondary. you will usually see some increased activity after racking to the secondary becuase it stirs up a bit of yeast. also the cranberry extract you added may have had some sugar in it. I would just leave it in the secondary for 2 weeks and then bottle/keg it.

Sounds to me like you're making beer, dude!

Racking to the secondary (can) stir up some of the yeast from the primary. If you only transferred a little bit then you are ready to bottle any day now.

You should have waited to add one of those 4 oz fruit syrup flavorings after your brew's been in the secondary a couple of days and/or just prior to bottling.

Other than that you're good to go.:D

well i didnt exactly use the 4oz flavoring a friend of mine told me to use cranberry concentrate, so I used enough to make 4 gal of cranberry juice....

texaviator23 said:
well i didnt exactly use the 4oz flavoring a friend of mine told me to use cranberry concentrate, so I used enough to make 4 gal of cranberry juice....

Holy crap! That ought to be nice and tart.

At this point, if you want the beer to be nice and clear, rack it over to another vessel (tertiary) and let it settle for a couple weeks, then bottle. If you don't care, let it sit for a few more days, then bottle.

Personally, I'd do a tertiary, let it clear a little, then bottle.

Best of luck!

SwAMi75 said:
Holy crap! That ought to be nice and tart.
I second that!! I made a cranberry wheat and used 4 lbs of fresh cranberries. It was plenty tart!

I would also move it to another vessel after a week or two. Clears it up a lot.

The cranberry concentrate could have fermentables that the yeast is now munching on. Give her some time, but you don't need extreme clarity in the wheat beers. Personal preference.

Back