ultrasound used to age wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That might just be crazy enough to work...

at making a lot of $$: ~$620 ea!;)

Just to make my $3 bottle of wine from Walmart taste like a vintage wine!!

$620/$3per bottle= 207 bottles of wine!

Might work but I would like to try someone's before I buy one.

It makes wine taste more aged, but makes orange juice fresher???? It's a high price gimmick.

Amazing. If this device works as well as as the article says it does, then I would totally support a local homebrew club buying one for its members use.

Or the LHBS having one for use. I'd pay two bucks per bottle at the store to "treat" my own bottle of cheap vino.

Michael

If you intend on doing that to your own brew, wouldn't two bucks a bottle equate to an extra 50 bucks per batch you brew? Seems a bit steep, given how quickly a LHBS could pay for their initial investment.

But I am intrigued by the idea of the device. I would certainly like more information on it, because their description of ultrasonic waves making the alcohol molecules collide = aged is a bit watered down for me to be to sucked in.

*edit: Wahoo I hit 400

you know. . ., this reminds me of an article in the Enquirer which stated that taking a "special herb" would miraculously speed up gestation and you only had to be pregnant for 4 months to have a healthy, full term baby.

Too good to be true.

Good things take T-I-M-E

just my opinion.

This isn't too good to be true, in fact, I believe it. Afterall, the aging process is simply a molecular change. And this works on the molecular level.

Maybe. But did anyone here see the episode of Mr Wizard where he put a bottle of coke into an ultrasound cleaning machine? All of the disolved carbon dioxide comes out of solution. Immediately. I don't want to play coke/mentos with my mead.

Maybe. But did anyone here see the episode of Mr Wizard where he put a bottle of coke into an ultrasound cleaning machine? All of the disolved carbon dioxide comes out of solution. Immediately. I don't want to play coke/mentos with my mead.

So you wouldn't be able to do it with sparkling meads or beers. Just use the machine on the carboy or in one-gallon bottles after de-gassing, then proceed to bottle carb.

So you wouldn't be able to do it with sparkling meads or beers. Just use the machine on the carboy or in one-gallon bottles after de-gassing, then proceed to bottle carb.

What about using the ultrasound before carbing?

What about using the ultrasound before carbing?

... by dropping an immersible ultrasonic transducer into the pre-carbed batch? Hmmmm....

immersible-ultrasonic-transducer-52466.jpg

Bad initial wine does not age into good wine. That's the flaw... On average, a $3 bottle of wine will be worse in the future not better. That's equivalent to saying how good your hefeweizen will be in 3 years :drunk:

+1 vote for overpriced gimmick

overpriced gimmick here too.... it " collides alcohol molecules?? " WTF??? that is a bunch of BS!!!

It's not an overpriced gimmick! It's in the same category as the intake manifold spacer and the gas tornado...COMPLTELY worth the money! ;-)

Well depends on what you're referring to but intake manifold spacers can work. If you are talking about the real thing that is. Some plenum spacers can help, especially in boosted applications. Though most are indeed bunk.

But the tornado... Nothing like putting thin aluminum just dying to become shrapnel in your engine.

And on topic, I stand with my first reaction that is most likely bs, though I would love to see if they had any more in depth of an explanation.

Hmm...
I'm no oenologist, I prefer a good brew.

However, I do work in ultrasonics.
I am trying to work out in my head what could possibly be going on..
..but I am at a loss.

A small part of aging is a "self filtering" process in which certain particles settle out. I suppose it is possible that μm-level vibrations could "sift" the wine..

And if most wine is best at 5-7 years, why would you desire a 20 years aged wine?

Sounds fishy to me..

If this were legit, it would be published.

-Pip

So, "colliding alcohol molecules" in the bottle simulates the natural aging process? This would mean those molecules are being broken down, at least partially, to form different compounds. Does water break down after prologned exposure to ultrasonic waves? And why would orange juice taste "fresher"? It seems to me, that anyone with an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, or denture cleaner could conduct a similar experiment & see if it really works. I say "PROVE IT." Regards, GF.

It also claims that "paintstripper whisky can taste like an 8-year-aged single malt." If that was true I would buy a ton of cheap whiskey and let it sit for 8 years in my basement. I have had, probably 20 year old cheap whiskey that someones parents forgot about in the basement. It didn't taste like an 8 year old single malt.

Well 8 year whiskey isn't aged for 8 years in the bottle, it is aged in the barrel. Old bad whiskey is still bad if you don't drink it for a long time.

you can polish a turd all day long, but you know what you have at the end of the day???
yep,
A turd with a bunch of polish on it.

wine? whiskey? no way at all..... crap in = Crap out!!

Well 8 year whiskey isn't aged for 8 years in the bottle, it is aged in the barrel. Old bad whiskey is still bad if you don't drink it for a long time.

That was my point. There is no way that this machine could make it taste like it has been sitting in a barrel for 8 years.

"The look and bouquet of the drink is improved and because of the chemical changes, the alcohol is easier to absorb by the kidneys and therefore, hangovers are virtually eliminated"
Even if it works to somehow change the flavor, I call B.S.. Tell me, how many "hangover cures" have there been throughout history. This Bologna. My dad has a high frequency machine that he uses for physical therapy on patients, I believe it has an ultra sound and electric stimulation function. I'll have to try it out one day. However, How does one get an equal exposure area to the ultra sound? It'll help to know where the ultrasound heads are in that machine

i would doubt that a 'high frequency machine used for physical therapy' would deliver the same result as an ultrasound machine.

Though, it could very well have it's own impact, positive or negative, as well.

If this 'ultrasound effect' is real, it would seem to me that all commercial wines would soon become either very expensive...or very cheap...depending on the market forces of competition and supply and demand.

Hmmm...My vet has a portable ultrasound machine that fits in a small backpack. I wonder if he appreciates a good wine?

Pogo

Tell me, how many "hangover cures" have there been throughout history.

Off topic, but that Chaser stuff you see in the stores? Yeah, that stuff works. I think you take one after your first drink, then one two drinks later IIRC. Two weeks on deployment for "training," with no actual work to do, that stuff saved my life. :drunk:

Most of those things are just a big dose of B12 and other multivitamins. B12 helps the body accept and retain water, thereby lessening your hangover. By a multivitamin with a butt load of B12 and save yourself the money. That and drink a bunch of water.

That doesn't change the fact that only Jesus is known to have made good wine out of anything other than the best grapes. Bad wine is bad win is bad wine. Unless these people are claiming to be Jesus, there product doesn't do anything that allowing your wine to properly open up with oxygen and time will do (decanting, or otherwise aerating).

Latest posts

Back