Ultimate EBIAB kettle wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danzig123

Reaction score
I am in the market for the ultimate kettle for up to 6 gallon batches and able to make 1.09 gravity beers.

I want to have a 1.5" tri clamp port for the electric element- a whirlpool/tangential inlet, and a recirculation port in the lid or towards the top of the kettle. Also would like to have a stainless basket instead of having to use a bag.

I love the looks of the 18 gallon version available from stout kettles.

https://conical-fermenter.com/BK18TW-TI-EL1-BIB-104-18-gal-Brew-In-Bag-Kettle.html

Is there any other options out there??

Brew boss?

Spike?

I want a very sturdy kettle. Thanks in advance.

I'll just say that I have a Blichmann 15 gallon and I find having to unscrew the piece to clean the sight glass is annoying, I wish I had a kettle with markings etched in like some of the others

I have to say... after owning kettles with sightglasses and etching, I have found the simplest, most reliable, easy to clean, and least expensive solution is a piece of 1/2 copper with volume marks on it. Sightglasses are the worst (PITA to clean) and I found steam/boiling action to hamper reading etch marks. Just my .02

I am in the market for the ultimate kettle for up to 6 gallon batches and able to make 1.09 gravity beers.

I want to have a 1.5" tri clamp port for the electric element- a whirlpool/tangential inlet, and a recirculation port in the lid or towards the top of the kettle. Also would like to have a stainless basket instead of having to use a bag.

I love the looks of the 18 gallon version available from stout kettles.

https://conical-fermenter.com/BK18TW-TI-EL1-BIB-104-18-gal-Brew-In-Bag-Kettle.html

Is there any other options out there??

Brew boss?

Spike?

I want a very sturdy kettle. Thanks in advance.

Not just because they are made in my hometown, but if you have the cheddar, then colorado brew systems i would think is what you are looking for. Or maybe ask bobby m from electric brewing to custom you one. Brew boss is nice, sure, maybe get a zymatic?

I have sightglasses on my Blichmann kettles and have never had a problem cleaning them. I just spray water from my water hose right in the inlet and it blasts out the bottom. They are in all of my kettles, BK, MT, and HLT. Not sure what is hard to clean about them.

Not sure what is hard to clean about them.

I have a 160 quart ColoBrewSys kettle with tri-clamp fitted sightglass. To fully clean I remove the sightglass assembly from the kettle, disassemble that, and then clean the SG with a tubing brush. Not difficult, just unnecessarily time consuming.

After months of research and saving money this is what I came up with. 20 gal spike with main port, whirlpool port, digital temp (brew boss), and 5500 watt element all under a custom arbor fab stainless basket. The sight glass is the only thing I probably would've not gotten in hindsight. I chose to go with the recirculating tube over the top because I wanted the basket to be as wide in diameter as possible so as to maximize grain to water interaction especially on 5 gallon batches. The whole setup is controlled using a BrewBoss controller and app. I couldn't be happier and it gives me fully repeatable and consistent results. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504450819.715513.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504450834.534930.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504450846.228233.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504450858.079563.jpg

A sightglass is helpful in a recirculating system.
By monitoring the fluid level in the sightglass, you can really dial in your recirc rate to prevent scorching or dryfires.

By monitoring the fluid level in the sightglass, you can really dial in your recirc rate to prevent scorching or dryfires.

Maybe it's just my setup but I've never had my fluid levels drop even slightly at full throttle. This seems to be more of an issue with bags vs baskets. More specifically even, full mesh baskets vs solid sided baskets and bags. I seem to remember reading some grumbling about the Colorado systems with solid sided baskets. I could be wrong.

I have the 18G Stout BIAB kettle. Here's the design issues:

You'll need to use a strainer bag as the stainless basket holes are way too big.
The intended location of the temperature probe is through the lid. I add a TC "Tee" fitting to the recirculating port and use a 12" TC Thermowell which gets in the kettle without hitting the basket, and a valve on the short "t" side.
Welds are outstanding.
Dimensions are good, I can get about 30 pounds of grain in the kettle.

I have been very happy with my Brew-Boss 15 gal system (w/ COFI). I primarily brew 5 gallon batches and there is enough space for big beers. I did purchase a siteglass for the system but I'm removing it. Like others have said, it's a pain to clean and work with.
Good luck with your search!

The Stout system was discussed about a year ago and the shortcomings referenced above were identified.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=592095

I'm very surprised at the perforation size of the basket and the lid based thermometer...which prevented me from moving on the system.
Both would have been easy to address if given just a little thought.

Shame, as the build quality looks first rate.

That's an excellent observation! Where can I get one of those sight glasses that connects to the kettle at the top and bottom?

Back