Clone Beer Uinta Hop Nosh Tangerine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJTroz

Palm Harbor Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1007
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
1 Liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
N/A
This is not my own recipe. It came from AHA’s “Top 50 Commercial Clone Beer Recipes”. The recipe is located here.

Uinta Tangerine Hop Nosh is one of my favorite flavored IPAs and one I usually keep a few cans on-hand. I was excited when I seen AHA published a clone for it. I am dying to brew it but I’m hung up on the tangerine concentrate. I have no idea where to find it. I’m thinking regular frozen orange juice concentrate will work but not sure if that’s what the recipe is calling for since it requires 1 liter for a 5gal batch. If that’s the case, it would need 3 cans and that really seems like a lot of simple sugar (from the concentrate).

Uinta provides the following specs: 7.3% ABV, 82 IBUs, 14 SRM. When I plug it into BeerSmith without the concentrate, it comes back with 6.5% (using 70% eff. and assuming a FG of 1.014), 79 IBUs, 6.7 SRM. I’m guessing the concentrate will bump up the OG, yielding a higher ABV but don’t know how to estimate it in BS.

Hoping someone may have some thoughts on the concentrate.

For 5 gallons

11 lb Pale 2-row malt (US)
1 lb Munich malt (US)
0.5 lb Crystal 40 malt (US)
1 oz Chinook hops (60 min)
1.5 oz Cascade hops (30 min)
1 oz Bravo hops (5 min)
1 oz Cascade hops (5 min)
0.5 oz Bravo hops (whirlpool)
0.5 oz Citra hops (whirlpool)
1 oz Galaxy hops (whirlpool)
1 oz Galaxy hops (dry)
0.75 oz Citra hops (dry)
0.25 oz Chinook hops (dry)
1 L tangerine concentrate (1 min)
Wyeast 1007 yeast

Directions
Single-infusion mash at 154° F. Conduct a 60 minute boil, following the additions as listed in the ingredients. Add the tangerine concentrate just before knockout. Ferment at 66° F. Dry hop once fermentation is complete.

Specifications
Original Gravity: 1.065
ABV: 6.7%
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Not yet. After I posted the recipe, I thought it actually would have been better to post in the general brewing sub being I have not made it yet.

I've since found a few tangerine concentrates online but they were rather pricey and haven't ordered any. When I do make it, I'm leaning towards just using orange juice concentrate instead, but 1 L still seems like a lot and I feel it will dry the beer out.

I was considering a similar approach. I have 1 liter or three cans of good frozen orange juice...what do you think? Maybe reduce that by 1\3?

It think it would work. I made a recipe in the past from the recipes that has 1/2 gal of Simply Lemonade and it didn't dry it too bad so maybe the three cans wouldn't be so bad.

Try it and let us know the results. I just brewed 10 gals of Pumpkin Ale today so the soonest I may be able to brew this would be next week.

Just brewed this over the weekend. . . . I used two cans of pulp free minute maid frozen orange juice at flame out.

OG came in a bit higher (1.0730) than expected, I am guessing this is because I used concentrated OJ vs the concentrate that the Brewmaster used. . . keep your ear to the ground for how this turns out in a month.

I'm tossed now. I was going to brew a Julius clone this weekend (depending on what the hurricane decides to do to us in FL) but now I don't know if I want to do the Julius or try this recipe.

Anyone have a source on tangerine concentrate that isn't overpriced? Looking to brew this in a couple weeks.

Anyone have a source on tangerine concentrate that isn't overpriced? Looking to brew this in a couple weeks.

Ever since I posted this recipe, I've been looking. The only 2 sources I found that are somewhat reasonable were:

Perfect Puree. They have 30oz jars of what they claim pure tangerine/mandarin puree @ $25.00/each. The minimum order is 3 jars and there is $30 s/h due to the product being perishable located here.

There is another kind of tangerine concentrate but it says it's a smoothie concentrate and I can't find if it's just juice or other ingredients. The specs say 100% pure fruit. The order would be $41.00 for a 3 pack of 46oz bottle w/free shipping located here.

I decided to try concentrated OJ . . . the recipe called for a liter, I decided to cut that by a third. I added 2 cans ($2 each) of good minute maid pulp free frozen concentrate at flame out. It is in the secondary now and I will be kegging it in about a week.

I will let you all know how it turns out.

Smells great so far.

Just kegged it up yesterday. . .really happy with the results. Should be able to report back fully in a couple of days.

Well - this came out pretty good. Not the best I have ever brewed, but solid. I was not entirely surprised, but the majority of the orange flavor from the concentrated OJ fermented out. There is a very subtle fresh citrus flavor that comes through, but I am guessing that is the hops. Not sure how close this is to the actual as I cant get it here in TX. Great mouth feel, good head retention and overall a good easy to drink refreshing IPA which is not too heavy on the hops. If I brew it again, I would not be afraid to add the last can of OJ to bring it to the 1 liter called for in the recipe.

IMG_2110.jpg

Thanks for the update. I wonder if the OJ added at secondary instead of flameout would have been able to retain more of the juice flavor.

I had a similar thought. I think it would be worth a try. . . as it is now it is drinking quite well, just not overbearing on the citrus. If you try it out, please let me know. . .I will consider it.

Will be doing a side by side taste of the real thing tonight. . . I'll let you know how close it is.

Cheers,

Scott

Alright. . . thanks so much @DJTroz for letting me know this was actually available here in DFW. My original reasoning for brewing this was that it sounded good and I thought I could not get it here, so I went at it myself. So many beers here, I just never saw it. . .

So I went at lunch and picked up a six pack and chilled it off wilst I finished up my Friday.

My original take on my brew was good, not great. That said, now that I have actually tried Unita's, this recipe is pretty damn close! I am actually very happy with my results.

The six pack I picked up has a best drink by 12/21/2017. . . no clue when it was brewed based on the can. My guess is that based on that date it is a couple months old.

I am not a professional beer taster but I looked at a few things for comparison purposes:
Color
Clarity
Head Retention
Mouthfeel
Nose
Taste
Aftertaste

So. . . .

Color/Clarity. . . putting these together and clearly from the picture color is similar, but I would have expected a crisper beer from Unita than mine. Mine was hazy theirs was crystal clear. I think if I filtered the beer it would have been much clearer, but not sure if that would be worth the effort as mine was just fine!

Head Retention. . . without a doubt mine had far better head retention. I poured mine off from the keg a good 3 to 4 minutes before I cracked open their can. I ran around the kitchen quickly trying to get my phone and within 30 seconds the head on Unita's was gone while mine had a nice head - that is what she said!

Mouthfeel. . . very similar, good both nicely carbonated, very little malt, fresh and light as you would expect from a lighter IPA.

Nose. . . Unita was far less hop forward on the nose and VERY subtle on the Tangerine. Mine was far more citrus (not tangerine - more orange) AND much more hop forward on the nose.

Taste. . . Unita was good, mild citrus, very mild tangerine seemed unnatural (but tasty), not super hoppy with a slight hop funk on the finish. Mine tasted better IMHO, fresher hops, more orange citrus (perhaps a slight bitter pithy taste from the OJ), similar subtle hop funk finish. I wonder if they are not using real juice or if the concentrate has been filtered to eliminate the pithe that I was picking up. My wife did a side by side and she could only tell my mine was way more hoppy and tasted like orange. I am not sure what hops varietal is giving the subtle funk, but i am getting it in both.

Aftertaste on both was good, no weirdness or skunkiness, honestly very similar.

In conclusion, if you LOVE Unita's Hop Nosh, this recipe is damn close and good. I would not add more than 2 cans of concentrated OJ, perhaps I would try to find the tangerine concentrate they use or make my own. I do think the flavor profile from tangerines would be less pithy, but it is super subtle so may not be worth it. I am toying with the idea of making my own tangerine concentrate and following my original method, but to hell with paying $25 for a liter. If I do this again, Ill report back.

Cheers,

:mug: Scott

IMG_2116.jpg

No problem. Glad it worked out. From what I've found, Uinta info states their flavor comes from their choice of hops (Galaxy and Chinook) and tangerine peel. Unless they are using a ton of tangerine peel, I can't see how just these 2 hops gives off a tangerine flavor. And you're right, Unita's does have a certain funk to it where if it can be avoided, I'm all in. My other go-to Orange IPA is Citradelic.

In any case, thank you for experimenting and now I am definitely going to brew it.

Latest posts

Back