Uh Oh --Wrong March pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewme

Reaction score
I got my 809 March pump in the mail today and noticed something different than all the others I've seen on this forum. I bought the 809 PL/HS-C which has the inlet in the center instead of below the pump. They advertised it as a "Homebrewing Pump" too. :( Problem?

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/March-pump--809-PL%2FHS-C-w%2Fbase--115v--home-brewing-pump_W0QQitemZ160334452777QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090511?IMSfp=TL090511137005r29527

March-pump--809-PL%2FHS-C-w%2Fbase--115v--home-brewing-pump_W0QQitemZ160334452777QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090511

Looks fine to me. Just keep that outlet pointing up to reduce any potential priming issues. Hook it up and see how it does!

That is the same one I use and got from Brewmasters Warehouse the March Pump 809-PL-HS-C. The 3/4" inlet and 1/2" outlet makes for easier priming - I have yet to have an issue with the unit priming, losing its prime or anything. It is a great pump.

I have read that this style is actually better than the kind you thought you bought.

avaserfi, that makes me feel much better! Mine did not come with an end plug. Did you just wire a plug on or is it hard-wired into something? I was thinking of hard wiring it to a receptacle and then have a cord running to an outlet. What do you think?

For those of us with inlet and outlet on the sides of the pump head, when it comes to orienting the pump on a stand should the inlet or outlet be pointed up, or should the thing be set horizontally, for easiest priming?

I also have the pump with the center inlet. When it pumps, it works very well. Unfortunately, I have had issues with it priming. Not losing prime but not wanting to prime to begin with. I worked in the chemical industry for many years and I am very familiar with pump mounting as well as performance curves and piping dynamics. There are a couple of things I'm trying and when I get it nailed down, I'll post. Luck - Dwain

I also have the pump with the center inlet. When it pumps, it works very well. Unfortunately, I have had issues with it priming. Not losing prime but not wanting to prime to begin with. I worked in the chemical industry for many years and I am very familiar with pump mounting as well as performance curves and piping dynamics. There are a couple of things I'm trying and when I get it nailed down, I'll post. Luck - Dwain

http://www.aalborg.com/images/pro...clid=CKD5vZ-BwpoCFQ9JagodPwI6sgPU_Pump_sm.jpg
That would be one nice report for all to read so we can decide on what pump
to use as well the positions of the in and outs to mount them.
Just because the March pump is out there does not mean it's the
best pump for us homebrewers to use. The priming issue i'm surprised with all these years being a problem that March has not made a pump especially for the homebrewer in mind that would be redesigned to correct for this problem
once and for all. My opinion is, "shame on them", the March pump manufacture that is. If I had a product I sure would look into a flaw or problem it has and have it corrected then added to the brewers needs as that part of the market to March would be a large additional income. Return buyers will more than pay for the different design changes to get it right for the many brewers out in the world. This has me looking for years now at the dual roller tube pump for equal in and out flows off a single motor with dual outputs.The name I recall is a Peristaltic pump.
If this works you will get an idea; TPU tubing pump: http://www.Aalborg, Manufacturer of High Quality Pumps.com. For some reason this page will not open, sorry after many failures I gave up. They are a quality pump with 8 rollers not 3. A pump design worth looking into if it were my big dollars purchasing two pumps why with known built in problems or in general a PITA to use every time? Why pay big money and have these problems to deal with at every brew session? The word sucker comes to mind. Not to be harsh but this is how I think about manufactured products that come to market half baked or not intended for brewing in the first place.
You get the idea. With 8 rollers this is not a pulsing pump.
At $250 for two March pumps with their built in problems this has me looking at other pump designs and manufactures. Anything to make my brew day easy without fighting pumps that lose their prime. Just because this is a brand that others use does not make it right, for sheep it's ok, last time I looked I had no wool on my body JMO's here. I can see the flame wars beginning.

Here is your link. Aalborg, Manufacturer of High Quality Flow Instrumentation
Peristaltic pumps are definitely a step up, but the pricing from what I have found for the flow volumes are very prohibitive. The pump I found from that link had a max flow rate of .1 GPM. I didn't even find the price after seeing the volume. I'll see if I can find an old link I had for a pump that would work BrewBeemer.

I have two March pumps ready to be hooked up and the issues I have read about scared me off initially. However it seems that many HBT'ers use the pump with no issues at all, so I remain optimistic that they will work!

I have two valves coming off my outlet. I have QD's on both so I can use either. The one that isn't hooked to a hose gets used as a vent. Night and day difference getting this primed when you have a vent.

Check my gallery if you want a pic.

I have two of the same pumps from Brewmasters warehouse too. I got a 3/4 to 1/2 brass adapter and used all 1/2 plumbing.

I have had no issued priming or using it. Only one brew session on it so far but I move the hoses around for HERMS and circulating water in the HLT. I keep in in the standard orientation and the hoses are kept short at under 2 feet. It is mounted at the level of the drain valve and there has been enough pressure from the weight/height of the mash that all I have to do is open the valve and it fills like a sight glass to the level of the wort.

BrewBeemer,
Hopefully, there won't be any flame throwing. If someone gets geeked up just because of differing opinions, they need to get a life. I researched pumps somewhat before I bought mine. I emailed several pump manufacturers and NONE of them seemed very interested in customizing a pump for such a small mark-up market. It seems they believe that most people will pay $115-$120 for a pump and deal with the issues vs. paying for a small commercial pump designed for the application. In my case, they are correct. Because I elected to hard pipe my system, my problems are a little different than a lot af the HBTr's. However, I will make this pump work. I still have a few ideas as well as contact with some very good Machinery Engineers that will take on this challenge just to prove they can fix it. I think the main problem is that everyone's system is a little different and that will make a universal fix unlikely. But, as I said before, once I nail it, I'll post. - Dwain

Samc, install vent valves to the outputs and it will greatly reduce any problems you encounter.

Can you or someone else describe to us new March Pumpers exactly how the vent is used? Are you just opening the other ball valve until a bit of liquid comes out and then closing it to get your prime?

Back