U.S. scotch ale hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MakeshiftBrew

Reaction score
Ahoy! I'm currently designing a recipe for a Scotch Ale, or, Wee Heavy, and I want to use all U.S. ingredients. However, I'm having trouble deciding on hop selection, any suggestions? I'm looking for a unique american character that will work well with the style.

A strong Scotch ale doesn't really have much hop character. If you want to brew it in the usual style, any clean bittering hop would work. If you're looking to "Americanize" the style by increasing the hop character, I'd look into using Willamette, Glacier and/or Mt Rainier.

I did a strong scotch ale and used columbus to supplement the under-order of fuggle, no noticeable ill-effects though the amount used was really minimal.

I bittered solely with Columbus to 30 IBUs in a heavy 80/-, tasted great although it is still young. That isn't the hops fault though. Robert the Bruce from 3 Floyds is great and it has Centennial to 30 IBUs.

Edit: There is also a recipe in the database that uses chinook as a FWH. It is likely to be my next brew in that style. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/strong-scotch-ale-153797/

Thanks for all the help. I was already considering Galena, so that may end up being my choice, I just wanted a few extra opinions and ideas. I know the hop character in this style is minimal, but I still feel I should give enough attention in selecting the right hop. I also tried to imagine what a hint of citrus hop flavor might lend to a scotch ale, that's a very american hop flavor and would be a rather interesting addition. I don't intend to do it but does anyone have any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back