Types of bottles/caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles541

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a bottle capper, what do you think is better? Buying flip top bottles? Or buying the capper? Also, should I get oxygen absorbing caps? Or is that not necessary for cider?

Thanks,

Bubbles541

I'd go with flip-tops if I were you, I started with crown caps & soon discovered that flip-tops were MUCH easier & quicker on bottling day; they cut my bottling time in half. There's also that added novelty of the flip-top bottle, a lot of non-brewers rarely even see them; I think it can add a bit of "old world charm" to a brew. I've held on to my wing capper though, and I still use it to bottle 12 oz. samples of wine & mead, but I only bottle a few (if any) out of a batch with crown caps. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

If you can afford flip tops those are pretty cool. However, if you want to let people borrow or you want to give away any of your beer you might want to use regular crown caps. I don't think I'd ever give one of my flip tops to a friend unless I was ready to never see it again.

That's what I'm worried about. The flip tops are about $3 a bottle where if I use a capper I can just use most any bottle and not worry about getting it back. I may invest in flip tops for special occasions or special brews. But I am leaning towards the capper. Now, oxygen absorbing or is it worth it?

I bought a few .5L flip tops of my special brews and for my ciders, its cool looking to pull out your "Premium" brew and its in a flip top.

Back