Types of Air Locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
There are two common types of air lock for fermentation, but I don't know which to get. Are there really any major functional differences between the cylindrical type and the S type? What do you prefer?

mew said:
There are two common types of air lock for fermentation, but I don't know which to get. Are there really any major functional differences between the cylindrical type and the S type? What do you prefer?

Personally, I prefer the cylindrical to the S type for the simple reason that if you ever get a really active fermentation that bubbles up into the air lock, with the cylindrical, you can just take it apart and clean it. With the S type, you'd pretty much have to throw it away.:mug:

Other than that, they both do the job equally well. One doesn't function better than the other.

cylindrical for me as well. Although since I use starters, I find myself always using a blow off tube:D . Those little airlocks just can't keep up with my happy yeasties!!

ajf said:
I prefer the S type because they are cheaper, and I've never had any difficulty cleaning them.

-a.

Funny, the cylindrical is cheaper @ my LHBS. Course 10 to 20 cents isn't a big deal anyway.

Back