Types juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skankin_brews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any sort of requirements for the kind of Apple juice, or any other kind of juice, to make cider? I would like to use Simply apple because it tastes the best to me.

I just used pasturized unfiltered apple juice and used my own mulling spice recipe. Unfortunately my last batch got infected by acetobacteria.

Acetobacteria are airborne bacteria that basically turn achohol in vinegar. It's why cider makers use airlocks - they allow gass to leave, but nothing to get in and turn the wine into vinegar. It can also happen from poor sanitisation.

But back to the original post, yeah, any apple juice is fine so long as it doesn't contain preservatives. But obviously, the better the quality of apple juice, the better the cider. The best ciders are made from blends of apples; usually a blend of bitter apples, sweet apples and very often small amounts of crab apples which are high in tannins.

But basic hard cider can just use store bought stuff giving pretty good results. If you look at Edwarts Apfelwein, it's just made from apple juice, corn sugar and yeast. It turns out pretty tasty.

Dicky

Back