Two Kegs off one regulator problem balancing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tancred the Brewer

Brewing Irony
Reaction score
I have been running a single keg off of my regulator for a few years. Since my beer fridge is a converted wine cooler the temp stays around 55 degrees, which I am fine with. I like to taste the beer I make, so don't mind them not being ice cold. I was able to achieve good line balance on my beers/ciders with a 6 foot line and picnic tap. Usually that meant running about 15-16 psi. Decided to move the CO2 tank from inside the fridge so that I could add another keg. I split the gas line off the regulator and am now running both kegs off the tank at the same PSI. Also using the same length line and another picnic tap for the second keg. Problem is I am now noticing a larger head on the beers (less so on the cider keg), and the cider and beers both go relatively flat in the glass once the head is gone. Any ideas on what may be the problem? Is the PSI too high now with both kegs on it? Is it too low? Do I now need longer lines even though they were fine when running a single keg?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

I don't like to go too much higher on the psi because it means I have to get longer keg lines. I didn't change anything with the taps and I don't see any pockets in the lines. I pulled another beer off yesterday after adjusting the psi up a bit and it was a little better. Went to LHBS today and picked up some 3/16" line since I am using 1/4" line. Thought that maybe a little more resistance would help.

Yes. You should set the pressure to the desired Volumes of CO2 at the keg temperature and then adjust line length for pour.

Update:

I went with 3/16" line (dang that was hard to put on the connectors) and doubled the length. Now I get a really nice balanced pour with a nice head forming in the last half inch of the glass. I guess adding the second keg was changing the line balance just enough to create more foam when pouring. Thanks for the replies.

At 55F, the beer is also less likely to hold on to carbonation so there's just a limit to how many volumes of CO2 you'll get away with unless you override the thermostat on the wine fridge.

Update:

I went with 3/16" line (dang that was hard to put on the connectors)...

For future reference if you didn’t try this, you can put the end of the hose in boiling water to soften it up and make it easy to slide over the connectors. All it takes is about 5-10 seconds if I remember correctly.

Latest posts

Back