two ID line diameter balancing system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browningbuck

Reaction score
wanted to sound up some theory here and see what the group thought.

Im using Ultra Barrier Silver - (1/4 in ID) states .65 lbs of restriction per foot. using Mike Soltys

at 12 psi with 1/4" hose at 1.5 elevation change and a flow rate of 8 sec/pint you get 27' of line.

Now this is fine if i knew what the resistance per foot was, so i used
http://www.iancrockett.com/brewing/info/kegbalance.shtml to reverse engineer and see that he has a .4166 lbs per foot.

i dont know 100% this is correct but helps me take the next step using both these calculators.

Im attempting to calculate the length for attached choker tubes (just lengths of line for balancing added to the 1/4").

I can not remember my fluid dynamics very well or most of my college classes now for that matter.
but the equation is linear so that allows us to easily combine line dims to balance with a 2 different IDs.

so using Ultra Barrier Silver - (3/16 in ID) states 2.2 lbs of restriction per foot. to make a choker we could use an average of length vs resistance to create and average resistance per foot. so say i wanted 12psi (0' elevation change for simplicity) at 12' of 1/4" = total of 7.8# of resistance so we would want 4.2# more resistance which would be 4.2/2.2 = 1.9' of 3/16" tubing to balance this line.

i understand the turbulance points can cause co2 to come out of solution (example would be using a needle valve to balance the line) however being this is 2' do we think this would cause the co2 to come out of solution? also would this choker be more beneficial at the shank or at the keg(im thinking at the shank due to not wanting the beer to expand beforre coming out the faucet)?

i may have missed basic theory at the start of this and would cause me to totally botch the finial idea but im looking for a little feed back.

Back