Two days in Belgium. Where to go and what beers to drink?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwnshop

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Road tripping through Europe and it looks like we will have two days and two nights to spend anywhere in Belgium. I have never been to Belgium and want to make these two days as beer oriented as possible!

Any tips on where to go and what to do (and what to drink)? I wouldnt mind checking out like westvleteren or something like that?

Seems like beer lovers paradise so i thought maybe you guys would have some experience/tips.

thanks!

Hey,

I live about 30 minutes away from west-vleteren. Its nice to go there and taste the beers. Next to west-vleteren is oost-vleteren where the "struise brouwers" are. A well known brewery. In that area are a lot of hopfarms and even a hopmuseum.

You can also visit Bruges and ypres both historic and beatiful citys.

I hope that helps you!

Grtz

2 days is a bit little, go to west-vleteren, it's pretty unique and the beer really is THAT good.

The other day, go to brugge or antwerpen, find a good beerpub and just sit down and enjoy all the tastes. and eat real belgian fries, they beat the socks of any other countries fries, I say this as a (jealous) dutchie

You absolutely must go to the Saint Sixtus Abbey in West-Vleteren.
Go pick up a case of Westvleteren12.
This should not be viewed as optional.
I would throw several members of my family under a speeding locomotive for such an opportunity.
My only other advice would be, to drink everything in sight...and report back to us, the extremely jealous forum crawlers :tank:

2 days is a bit little, go to west-vleteren, it's pretty unique and the beer really is THAT good.

The other day, go to brugge or antwerpen, find a good beerpub and just sit down and enjoy all the tastes. and eat real belgian fries, they beat the socks of any other countries fries, I say this as a (jealous) dutchie

I know I wish we could stay longer than two days, but this is at the tail end of a month long road trip and two days is all we have left!

Brugge was on the list so i think we will set up there on day 1 and on day 2 head to Ypres and Westvleteren!

Hey,

I live about 30 minutes away from west-vleteren. Its nice to go there and taste the beers. Next to west-vleteren is oost-vleteren where the "struise brouwers" are. A well known brewery. In that area are a lot of hopfarms and even a hopmuseum.

You can also visit Bruges and ypres both historic and beatiful citys.

I hope that helps you!

Grtz

Thank you :) that does help! both Bruges and Ypres were the places we had in mind so your recommendation has helped us make the decision.

Since you live close to Westvleteren have you ever purchased a case of Westvleteren 12 from them? I read that you have to place your order in advance? Maybe you can advise me on what to do?

cheers!

You absolutely must go to the Saint Sixtus Abbey in West-Vleteren.
Go pick up a case of Westvleteren12.
This should not be viewed as optional.
I would throw several members of my family under a speeding locomotive for such an opportunity.
My only other advice would be, to drink everything in sight...and report back to us, the extremely jealous forum crawlers :tank:

Haha ok I'm on it. :)

I never purchased a case of beer but you van buy 1 or 2 six-packs in the store without ordering.
Tot order a case you have tot call in advance (if you get in) and with the licenseplate number make a appointment... Look at the site of the brewery.

It depends where you're heading there from. I'm UK based and took a ferry from Calais, stopping at Saint Sylvestre-Cappel in the morning where there's a great biere de garde brewery.

After a lunch and stocking up on 3 Monts and Gavroche we did a brewery tour at St Bernardus which was about 30 mins away and then picked up a few crates from Westvleteren which is 20 mins apart.

We went to Bruges after that. If you go there find a bar called Staminee De Garre. They do an amazing tripel and loads of other good beers. There's also a really good restaurant called Den Dyver that pairs food with beers. I couldn't get a reservation unfortunately but it's meant to be really good.

I'm going again this year and renting a holiday home in Poperinge which is a bike ride away from Westvleteren. I'm going to go to Struise Brouwerij and also Brasserie Thiriez in France this time round as well as re-visiting Westvleteren.

Belgium is a very small country so it's easy enough to get anywhere you want to but that should give you a few ideas.

Back