Tweaking a lager recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmash

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a newb and have had success with stout, IPA and Porter. Now I have this fairly simple recipe for lager and I was wondering what the more experienced homebrewers would add or change to make it better.

https://beerbrew.com/downloads/Recipes/LoudmouthLager.pdf

I'm using 2 packets of Saflager 34/70 as opposed to the prescribed 1.
I have made a fermentation chamber out of a dorm fridge with a kegco external temp controller so I'll be able to ferment at 50 degrees.
I was going to extend the boiling time also.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Have your prior beers been extract? If so, I'd suggest dropping that Vienna because it needs to be mashed. You can sub 0.6 lbs of DME and get the same gravty.

And rather than use two oz of Hallertau at 60, you can get away with one oz of a higher AA% hop like Northern Brewer.

Other than that, you're in good shape. your pitch rate is good and your temp control is solid too.

Have your prior beers been extract? If so, I'd suggest dropping that Vienna because it needs to be mashed. You can sub 0.6 lbs of DME and get the same gravty.

And rather than use two oz of Hallertau at 60, you can get away with one oz of a higher AA% hop like Northern Brewer.

Other than that, you're in good shape. your pitch rate is good and your temp control is solid too.
Ok thanks. My other brews have all been partial like this one( Grains and extract). I had actually bought an extra bag of Pilsen Light DME to raise the gravity anyway.

Ok thanks. My other brews have all been partial like this one( Grains and extract). I had actually bought an extra bag of Pilsen Light DME to raise the gravity anyway.

Just to clarify terminology, there is a difference between steeping grains and partial mash. Grains suitable for steeping have some or most of their sugars already converted and will contribute color and flavor without a mash, for example crystal and roasted malts. As Jon points out Vienna needs to be mashed to really get anything. Mashing looks like steeping, but requires conditions that let the enzymes convert startches to sugars - i.e. holding at the proper temp, usually lower water to grain ratio, and requiring enough base malt to provide enzymes to convert.

Vienna can be mashed on its own. It has sufficient power to self-convert.

Best advice i can give with lagers is:
1. Keep the recipes simple (this one qualifies)
2. Temperature control (~50-55F)
3. Pitch agressively (you got this with 2 patches)
4. Keep OG moderate (1.050 is a good target).

If you can't do all of the above then stick with ales.

So I would like to try to mash using the 1 quart per pound of grain rule. Can anyone give me a mash temperature schedule for the Vienna?

Just shoot for mid range, 152-154. 1 qt per lb is fairly thick, I usually don't go below 1.25 unless I've maxed out my mash tun. You shouldn't have space restrictions with such a tiny mash, I'd do 2 qts. You could even reduce your extract and add a couple lbs of pilsner malt if you want.

That recipe looks like it would make good beer, but I'd expect a German Pils to be drier and a bit more bitter (although a lot of modern export versions are about the listed 25IBU's). Are you aiming for a German Pils (as per the 'At a Glance' info) or a maltier lager?

That recipe looks like it would make good beer, but I'd expect a German Pils to be drier and a bit more bitter (although a lot of modern export versions are about the listed 25IBU's). Are you aiming for a German Pils (as per the 'At a Glance' info) or a maltier lager?
I would like a wee bit maltier than the typical German Pilsner

Back