Twains' Brewpub Good & Lonesome Amber Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkHeDo

Reaction score
So, I tried this ale at Twains in Decatur GA a couple months ago. I hadnt tried many amber ales before then, but I had this as part of a 8-brew sampler tray and fell in LOVE. It was this toasty, amber, not too sweet but SMOOTH ale with a hint of a roasty coffee flavor. I've got an amber ale in the fermenter now that I pulled off the Brewmasters Warehouse site, but then I decided to hit up the brewmaster at Twain's for some hints.

Here's what he said:

"Ha! Well that's great thank you very much for the kudos, I do appreciate! I have some good news and bad news for ya'. Originally I was taking some grain, smoking in a smoker to make a smoked rye pale ale. So the first day I went to use the smoker it took forever. By then end of the day, I was tired of waiting and cranked up the fire too hot. This resulted in toasting the grains as opposed to smoking them. In a panic I put those grains aside and went with new grains the next day to get the smoke characteristics I wanted. Sooo, after all that, I had these tosted grains to do something with, so I made the Good and Lonesome Toasted Oats Ale. That was the bad news and now for the good news. Essentially I used about 80% Pilsner, 10% Crystal 45, 10% Flaked Oats and 2% Victory. Hops were Columbus for bittering and Gr. Tradition the rest. I hope that helps and can satisfy your attempts. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again!"

So it sounds like one of those happy accidents. So here's my attempt at a recipe. I'm not really comfortable toasting my own oats since I'm pretty new at this, so I threw in 4 oz of 300L roasted barley to see if that would get me the coffee notes that I'm looking for. Check it out:

Briess Pilsner 9 lbs, 4 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 40 1 lbs, 3 oz
Simpsons Golden Naked Oats 1 lbs, 3 oz
Biscuit 0 lbs, 8 oz
Briess Roasted Barley 0 lbs, 4 oz
Columbus Pellets .5 oz @ 60 mins
Hallertau Pellets, German 1 oz @ 15 mins
Wyeast Labs American Ale II 2 ea

8 ingredients. $34.16

So what do you think? Especially anybody who's actually tasted this nectar of the gods...

I'v had it. Don't remember it that well, unfortunately. I would leave out the roasted barley for a standard amber, but it could add an interesting element.

Back