Turtle on a Log - Make it a Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a good plan.
Unrelated to brewing.... i had a buddy(RIP) who's catch phrase was
"Turtle dogs, on Loobie logs"
Your post reminded me of him.

So for now I scrapped this idea only because my LHBS didn't have the ingredients. Instead, I'm going with a Stony Man Stout clone from North American Clone Brews. I've altered it a little bit, for example, I'm using Cascade hops, instead of Northern Brewer. I'm also pitching reharvested slurry of K-97.

Stony Man Stout (North American Clone Brews book) - Dry Stout (13A)
================================================================================
Batch Size 5.25 gal
Boil Size 3 gallon
Boil Time 60 min
Efficiency 70%
OG 1.049 sg
FG 1.012 sg
ABV 4.9%
Bitterness 30.8 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 32.1 srm (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Liquid Extract (LME) - Pale Extract 3.300 lb No Yes 78% 8.0 srm
Briess DME - Golden Light Dry Extract 1.750 lb No Yes 95% 4.0 srm
Briess DME - Golden Light Dry Extract 1.000 lb No No 95% 4.0 srm
Briess - Caramel Malt 120L Grain 8.000 oz No No 74% 120.0 srm
Briess - Roasted Barley Grain 8.000 oz No No 55% 300.0 srm
Briess - 2 Row Chocolate Malt Grain 4.000 oz No No 60% 350.0 srm
Briess - Black Malt Grain 4.000 oz No No 55% 500.0 srm
Total grain: 7.550 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Cascade 6.9% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 25.2
Willamette 4.1% 0.250 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 3.7
Willamette 4.1% 0.250 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 1.9

Yeasts
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale - K 97 German Ale Ale Dry 0.00 tsp Primary

My LHBS often does not have all the ingredients listed in the recipe I choose. I use this malt comparison chart to make appropriate substitutions. http://kotmf.com/articles/maltnames.php?PHPSESSID=e948e07a3c65ecc4be57e694f904243c

With that said, any time you make a substitution it may not be exactly the same so you are no longer making a clone but have an entirely new recipe. Think of the recipe you just posted and the substitutions you are making. It's no longer a clone but your own private recipe. With that you get to name it whatever you like.

I've learned to make lots of substitutions. I will take a pale ale recipe (love the bitterness level and hop aroma) and add some extra caramel malt to give it a little more sweetness and a different flavor. It no longer fits into the pale ale category were I to enter it into competition but I make it for my pleasure. The latest version that is in the fermenter has Special B in it, definitely not a pale ale by definition but I'm looking forward to the new color/flavor and used up some of the grain that I had on hand too.

Back