fermentation bucket issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiseman

Reaction score
I just got a ~6 Gallon fermentation bucket from the LHBS and I'm having serious issues with it. It's a "true brew" and I cannot for the life of me get the top on right. I've tried pushing on it, I've tried a rubber mallet, I've tried hammers. I CANNOT get the top on all the way. Is there a trick to this or something?

:mug:I put it on the floor and start one side and then work my way around using my knee to push it on. It will start to get easier after a while.:mug:

If it's anything like some of the primary fermenters I can get around here, the top is not supposed to lock. It's meant to sit loosely but snugly on top as to allow gas to escape.

Does it have slits cut on the outer edge? I got a bucket used and the lid was cut to allow you to get it on and off. Looks like it was cut by the person because they were not perfect cuts.

I also have one of those True Brew pails. The little "slots" around the edge of the lid (made with thinner plastic) are meant to be cut with a razor knife or something. Once you cut a few of them you'll find the lid is much easier to get on and off.

^+1

I have a True Brew bucket as well and I had a hard time with it before I cut the slits. Just make sure you don't cut the seal.

cut the slits with a dremmel and now it feels much better! thanks!

I tossed the lids and replaced them with squares of clear Plexiglas large enough to completely cover the mouth of the bucket.

There's no need to seal the bucket, so why bother? As bradsul and brelic said, just let the lid sit on the bucket and stop worrying about it. The only reason to cover the bucket is to keep stuff from falling in.

RDWHAHB! :mug:

Bob

Back