Turning BoiL KEtTle on Low during Sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walfy10

Reaction score
So I just started turning up my boil kettle on low during my sparge and my beers are finishing a lot higher than expected. Does anyone else do this or do you collect about half of the wort and then fire it up? I.E I made an Irish Red that was 1.046 was about 80% base 20% specialty grains mashed at 153F and the final gravity was 1.020. This seems way too high to me. Its not overly sweet at all but does have a really thick body.

What was the actual grain bill? 20% medium crystal would probably hit that kind of number.
As to your question, I fly sparge and get the boil kettle going once I've collected a couple of inches of wort. As a 10 gallon batch takes 40-45 minutes to complete the sparge it saves a lot of time instead of serializing the process. Judging by the numbers I can't find anything to support the notion it has any effect on final gravity...

Cheers!

What was the actual grain bill? 20% medium crystal would probably hit that kind of number.
As to your question, I fly sparge and get the boil kettle going once I've collected a couple of inches of wort. As a 10 gallon batch takes 40-45 minutes to complete the sparge it saves a lot of time instead of serializing the process. Judging by the numbers I can't find anything to support the notion it has any effect on final gravity...

Cheers!
Its about 10% medium crystal 5% carafoam and 5% Oats I've made this in the past and have always fermented down to 1.014 but I didn't fire up the Boil Kettle until I collected around 4 gallons. I'm guessing when I fire up the BK right away the enzymes that are rinsed out during the sparge are denatured right away. I'm going to try a lower mash temperature I'm thinking or just go back to firing up the burner after about 4 gallons of wort are collected

i batch sparge in 2 batches, and pour the wort from each batch into the kettle separately (so I don't have to carry all 6.5 gallons at once). last year i started turning the kettle on low when the first bucket of wort goes in (along with first wort hops as appropriate), while the second bucket of wort fills from the sparge. No change on final gravities. only difference is it saves 5 mins or so towards getting the kettle boiling.

I assumed the saccharification rest was long enough to achieve full conversion and hadn't even considered the case of incomplete conversion in the MLT.
If that's the actual case here the proposition could be apt...

Cheers!

Back