Turn an empty CO2 Fire Extinguisher into a brewdog kegger tank??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

sirsloop

Reaction score
I was just getting a cup of coffee and noticed that our fire extinguisher looks just like my keg tank, minus the valve on top. Its thick steel, certed, and just has a nozzle instead of a threaded connector on top.

Here's an example....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kidde-CO2-Fire-...ryZ57019QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Granted shipping may be pricey, but i'm sure you could get a craigslist score for DIRT CHEAP if its empty or the nozzle is broke. Put up a wanted ad and see what happens.

Anyways... what all is involved in taking off the fire nozzle and putting on a threaded fitting? Will it need to be certed again? Where do you get replacement valves for tanks? I'm pretty sure this can be done. Now that I think about it, I have a feeling my existing tank was a fire extinguisher in the past cause it was red, and it was CHEAP!

This could be a very very cheap way to get a CO2 tank!!

Iechyd Da

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My tank is an old 20# size CO2 fire extinguisher. I just replaced the top with a valve for a CO2 tank and added a regulator. I painted it silver and took it to the Fire extinguisher company to get hydro tested and filled. The valve for the top was $15 and the test and fill was $27.

OP
OP
sirsloop

sirsloop

Reaction score
Bobby_M said:
Wouldn't it just be cooler to have to pull the pin and squeeze whenever you wanted a pour?

I'll need to stock up on those little plastic security zip-tie tags they put on there that break when you use it. :cross:

conpewter

Reaction score
That's a great idea!! I'm going to take a look on craigslist to get a 20 lb tank to use and have my old 5lb one as a backup (just need to do the thing with the paint and the new regulator)

giraffeman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Iechyd Da where did you get the valve? I have been looking for one but can't seem to find a supplier Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing
is it called a CO2 bottle valve? and did it just screw in?