Turn a Spike Kettle into a still?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialkayme

Reaction score
I have a 15g Spike kettle I use for eBIAB. It has a 5500w heating element in the bottom, and a 1.5" TC port at the top of the kettle (used for a whirlpool arm, as well as a steam condenser during boiling). Would it be possible to add a reflux column and condenser to the top port, and use it as a distiller? Something like this (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alcohol-Di...488856?hash=item41f16f7958:g:6Q0AAOSwGyZcWuwF)?

I've had about 5 people that aren't into brewing see my kettle and ask if I make moonshine. When I say its for beer, everyone asks the same question . . . "Could you use it for moonshine?"

Just curious what it would involve.

Your challenge would be sealing the lid and making an inert gasket for that seal vs flour paste. The 1.5 inch triclamp port is small and would increase vapor speed which is bad in distillation . You would need a triclamp 90degree elbow, an adapter 1.5 inch to 2 inch to connect a column. And then the offset weight of the column may be a problem supporting. Probably a bigger PITA trying to adapt the wrong tool for distillation than just making a boiler from a keg.

Your challenge would be sealing the lid and making an inert gasket for that seal vs flour paste.

Perhaps a dumb question, but do I need to seal it? When the steam condenser is active, the weight of the lid holds it in place and no steam escapes from the lid.

Probably a bigger PITA trying to adapt the wrong tool for distillation than just making a boiler from a keg.

Probably. But I'm trying to avoid having another set of equipment lying around, if possible. Plus I'd like to reuse most of the eBIAB equipment I have (including the 5500w heating element and the electric controller). In order to do that, I'd need to get a keg that has a 2" TC top port for the column, and a 1.5" bottom TC for the heating element (plus the right place to put another 1.5" TC port for the temp probe). Seems like an expensive and custom build, as I haven't been able to find anything already made (unless I'm too stupid to find it), which would make it difficult to sell should I not need it in the future.

1.5 inch triclamp ferrule is 5-7$. I silver soldered mine onto a keg because I don't weld. Most do it my way. Keg 25-50 bucks at yard sale or Craig's list. You can then use your existing element and controller.

You should definitely have a seal. If your running for low wines it's not like anything will go kaboom, but for a proper distillation then there is always the chance you could have a miniscule leak.

There's a simple seal made using cardboard and plumbers tape that is generally considered safe for distilling, and it's cheap and easy to make.

As for the trip clamp size, there are plenty of ways to slow down a distillation by design that could help.

Back