Turbo Boiler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3gbrew

Reaction score
The folks at More Beer are selling a thing called a turbo boiler, 2000 watts. Has anyone out there used one? It would work well for my situation.

I use a hardware store 1500W water heater element in my hot liquor tank.
Basically ran it through the side of a kettle and hooked it up 120V

For 4 gallons, I get right about 3 degrees a minute give or take - so tap water takes just under 30 min to get to 168°F

I'm very interested in this too. Did you pick it up?

I haven't bought one yet. I keep waiting for someone to tell me something good about it, and so far all I have been able to find out is it's available.

2000 watts running on 120v? Be prepared on waiting a while to get water to a boil in it.....

Yep. I've experimented with a 120V system before, and ended up trashing that aluminum pot, and tearing down the system. Still planning on building a 120V for 3 or 4 gallon batches.

I have another 240V eBIAB system that I can do up to 10 gallon batches on, but I wouldn't want to do a batch smaller than 5 gallons on it, so this looks like a compact turnkey-ish solution.

Ive always admired them for their size and convenience. Biab would work in it with sparge if fv didnt fit.

I just came across the Turbo Boiler on ebay yesterday...then found this thread....

anyone actually buy & try one yet?

also, it seems to be available several places with slightly different names and specs but I suspect they are all the exact same item...

I've seen them advertised as 1000, 1500, 1800 and 2000 watts? Some of the 1500 watts listings have a statement that the specs are wrong and it's only 1000 watts. But I suspect they are all the same wattage regardless of what the box/specs/seller claims...they all look 100% identical in the pictures...

mathematically speaking....your typical 120v outlet is rated at 15 amps but is commonly referred to as a 110v
(maybe I should test my outlets to see what they are really delivering) so 1800 is the max possible before the breaker trips.

120volt X 15amps = 1800 watts best case scenario...but I can't ever recall seeing any appliance or any electrical device rated at 15 amps...maybe 12 amps for heavy duty equipment but most all 120v stuff is closer to 110v actual I think.

2000watts is impossible unless your on a 120/20amp outlet, but those plugs are different (one of the blades is sideways) than what is shown on any of the listings.

So my "guess" is 1100 watts....110V at 10 amps is what these things are really doing...

I haven't tried any electric pots yet...how many watts is actually needed to bring a 5gal (probably 5.5-6 gal in the kettle) batch to boil? I suspect it will take a while, but we are starting with hot mash anyway...

looks to be basically a extra large coffee percolator, I'm guessing without the temp regulator and coffee filter?

Back