Tuff-tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see anything wrong with that fermenter either. Of course two smaller fermenters would work also. Whatever makes you happy will work best for you.

Thats just like a vittles vault,if you have a pet shop nearby they may have them.

I use the 50lb. vittles vault and it works perfectly,just had to drill my own holes in the lid.
does 10 gallon batches just fine.

The vittles vault does not come with a place for a pressure relief valve or a fermentation lock. The only down side I see to the tuff-tank is cleaning. The tank being plastic can scratch and may be difficult to clean. Also if you are doing any lagering or cold crashing, will the tuff-tank fit in your cold space?

Amzing - Vittles Vaults posing as fermenters !

I think I have discovered some great grain containers .. they have to be the same ...

Clever HBT'ers !

I think I will stick with the BB for now..

I wrote the Vittles Vault manufacturer (Gamma Plastics) yesterday about these and our interest in using them as a fermentor. He told me:
There is a company in Ohio, www.eckraus.com, that is a supplier of wine and beer brewing items. They have three of our containers that they sell already made up for this purpose. Our item 4330 container is his most popular. It hold 11.0 gallons of product.
I suggest you check his website to see what best fits your needs.

So it seems it not only looks like the Vittles Vault, but it is the Vittles Vault.

The only question he didn't answer was whether this was #2 or #4 polyethylene...

I might grab one of the $28 US Plastics ones and flip it over...just to see the number. I can find a use for it either way.

Those tanks are REALLY hard to pick up off the floor. Also, there is a rim up near the top that is impossible to assure that it's clean. I don't even use mine anymore. I bought a 50L sanke that was converted to a fermenter.

The vittles vault is HDPE(#2), the same as the buckets many of us commonly use. Does anyone know what size to buy if I wanted to hold a 55 sack of grain? They have one that holds 30-35 Lbs of dry dog food.

I use Home Depot Homer Buckets to store half bags of grain. A 5 gallon bucket holds exactly 27.5 (half a sack) of grain.

my guess is that you would need a 10 gallon Vittle Vault to Hold a full bag.

May have to crunch the numbers to get a volume.

Look for them on US Plastics as I think they are cheaper.

I am now totally using the 8G Vaults as my Primaries now and their design is making it easier for me to design a ferm chamber that can hold 4 of them under my brew space.

I just finished my first 13 gallon batch in a vittles vault. It came out great!! I just drilled a hole in the center of the lid and took the grommet out of my fermentation bucket and the then drilled a hole in the corner for my spout, which also came from my bucket. I siphoned 5 gallons right from my fermentation fridge into a 5 gallon corny then picked up the vault to transfer the rest from the spout into another 5 gallon corny, there was enough left to almost fill a 3 gallon corny for taking to the pool. There was very little trub in the bottom. To clean the lid I drilled 8 small holes in the outer ring, at the bottom of the flat section, then pulled a straight razor knife down until it sectioned the ring, it came off very easily after that for cleaning and sanitizing. I didn't bother with pictures because others have posted them before, which was how I knew how to build it and clean it. I didn't use an airlock, but a blowoff tube, that way the krausen could not clog an airlock.

Back