Trying to use up ingredients, thoughts on this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcox85

Reaction score
I have some grain that I need to use up before my next order, I don't want to have too much on hand so that it goes stale.

Going to do a 1 gallon BIAB, as follows:

1 lb Munich
1 lb Pilsen
.1 lb Vienna

Cascade and Centennial hops

The only yeast I have on hand is Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast...question is do you think using this yeast will impart off flavours? Any experience using wheat beer yeast in non wheat beers?

I have used witbier yeast (WLP400, WY3942) in non-wheat beers and it does impart its particular brand of flavor. I wouldn't call that an off flavor, but it probably won't be "clean." I made a fairly nice Belgian Patersbier with WY3942 without using any wheat. The yeast gave it an interesting orange-y taste.

dry munich yeast is very different from witbier yeasts. Munich is more along the lines of a hefeweizen yeast. I don't think it would make a bad beer in a non-wheat based beer. It would just impart a bit of the typical banana/clove

Yeah I was expecting the bananna and clove to come through, was hoping perhaps more hops might balance that out a bit, perhaps more cascade at the end of the boil and dry hop to add to the aroma and flavour...
Hops I have on hand are cascade, centennial, amarillo, chinook and a bit of mosaic, but using some of those american ipa hops in this recipe I thought might be a bit overkill, what do you think?

Back