Trying to find inexpensive kegging solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russb123

Reaction score
I would really like to get into kegging but I have 2 problems.

First problem is money - second is space.

I would need a kegerator that did not take up alot of room, since it would most likely need to be placed in a utility room.

Does anyone know of any good options?

I like my Holiday 5.0 cu. ft. chest freezer (with temp controller) It can hold three kegs and a 5# co2 bottle.

Which is more of a problem, money or space? You can get some small freezers, but you'll likely need to buy them new of you can watch craigslist/the classifieds and get a cheap freezer, but they're likely going to be bigger ones.

Micromatic has good prices on tanks and regulators. I got my kegging setup from Midwest Supplies and I like it a lot.

Another option is to use a mini-fridge. Search here for the latest "best" model (they come and go often). That saves you money on a temp controller and should hold 2 kegs in a fairly small space.

for the money issue....look for a used refrigerator, Side By Sides are usually very compact, and you don't have to spend $60 on a temp controller.
Get a basic kit with a cobra tap, and you'll be in at under $200 and kegging, but BEWARE !!!! IT NEVER STOPS THERE!

for the money issue....look for a used refrigerator, Side By Sides are usually very compact, and you don't have to spend $60 on a temp controller.
Get a basic kit with a cobra tap, and you'll be in at under $200 and kegging, but BEWARE !!!! IT NEVER STOPS THERE!

The cheapest I have seen a "basic kit" (5lb CO2, Regulator, 1 cornie, cobra tap) is about $150. Is that the lowest, or should I shop around?

Back