Trying to find a 15 gallon plastic drum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i need a couple new 15 gallon drums for fermenters. the o-rings on my old curtec ones have gotten hold and kicked the bucket, pun intended...lol

anyway, they used to be easy to find on ebay for like $20+$20 shipping. can't seem to find them anymore. i miss bubbling airlocks.

i'm thinking maybe searching for "Drum", or something like that? anyone got tips on how to procure something like this?

I just pulled three of the four I have been holding onto for the past ~10 years and put grain into them. I have one left, but I don't think you want to pay shipping from here. ;) If it's just the o-rings that are bad, just replace those. IIRC, I got ones for these (didn't come with them) from McMaster.

Or upgrade to something more robust with easier to replace seals. ;)

I just pulled three of the four I have been holding onto for the past ~10 years and put grain into them. I have one left, but I don't think you want to pay shipping from here. ;) If it's just the o-rings that are bad, just replace those. IIRC, I got ones for these (didn't come with them) from McMaster.

Or upgrade to something more robust with easier to replace seals. ;)

do you remember what they were? i tried replacing one with a rubber o-ring, and it still doesn't seal....

Well, the feed store i get my barley from has them once in a while. for just $20, last i asked. but last couple times i've been there, they haven't had any....

Well, the feed store i get my barley from has them once in a while. for just $20, last i asked. but last couple times i've been there, they haven't had any....
Ask them to save them for you. ;)
Many (10) years ago, I was offered to take them for (nearly) "free" but wouldn't have known what to do with them, at that time. They make (almost) perfect 10 gallon fermenters! Doh!

They make (almost) perfect 10 gallon fermenters! Doh!

that they do, i got the tip back in 2006 or so, off the morebeer forums....i asked what was CHEAP, and big enough. because i was spliting my 10 gallon batches between two carboys....

might have to do that, or try at least. hmmm, it's only three, maybe i'll call them now! their still open! :mug:

edit: well he said check back monday, their having trouble getting a good deal on them. but should have some within a month....i'll keep my fingers crossed i can hear the sweet sounds of airlock activity again soon!

Last edited:
so i need a couple new 15 gallon drums for fermenters. the o-rings on my old curtec ones have gotten hold and kicked the bucket, pun intended...lol

anyway, they used to be easy to find on ebay for like $20+$20 shipping. can't seem to find them anymore. i miss bubbling airlocks.

i'm thinking maybe searching for "Drum", or something like that? anyone got tips on how to procure something like this?

There is a nation-wide shortage of olefin plastics (polypropylene and polyetheylene) currently. It's possible that is affecting the used market if barrels/drums previously thrown or given away are now being re-used or sold before they reach the e-bay stage.

There is a nation-wide shortage of olefin plastics (polypropylene and polyetheylene) currently. It's possible that is affecting the used market if barrels/drums previously thrown or given away are now being re-used or sold before they reach the e-bay stage.

damn, and here i was hoping synthetic wood, would be a replacement to the ever increasing price of lumber, to build my fort!

do you remember what they were? i tried replacing one with a rubber o-ring, and it still doesn't seal....
Nope. The account I had set up at that time got wiped due to no activity. I would just take the ID, OD measurements and order a few of them. You can find "close enough for guvment work" o-rings on their site (if not the exact size). I don't recall if I ordered more than the four I needed or not. Or if I did get more, if I kept them since we're talking about 10 years ago now. I've moved a few times since then.

Last edited:
you can't just lay down a bead of silicone and a few weights on top for a decent seal?

Last edited:
if a plastic bucket is $100, i think i'll end up going with something like this....
Didn't you have a 1/2 barrel Sanke keg standing around, looking for a purpose?
They make excellent fermenters (and soleras). The only drawback is they're a PITA to clean without a strong pump and such.

Didn't you have a 1/2 barrel Sanke keg standing around, looking for a purpose?
They make excellent fermenters (and soleras). The only drawback is they're a PITA to clean without a strong pump and such.

that i do, someone might sell me a ball lock fermenter thingy-ma-jiggy for it too...it will be something to try anyway.

hell yeah! they got 15 gallon drums for $16! i see no way to buy 2-3 of them though? lol i clicked the online shop, and was taken the ammo boxes and gas cans? ;)

edit: found it, $40 for a 14 gallon, and $50 shipping....
That site is a nightmare to navigate.
I typed in the SKU# of those 15 gallon barrels, and got the same results you did, jerrycans galore!

Your search Fu was a bit more advanced apparently...
But then shipping kills pretty much any such deal, as usual.

if a plastic bucket is $100, i think i'll end up going with something like this....
I've read about people using those kind of milk cans (or olive oil cans) for fermentation. They're probably pretty thin material, though. And China made.
Now with their large opening they are much easier to clean than an "unmodified" Sanke.

Last edited:
that i do, someone might sell me a ball lock fermenter thingy-ma-jiggy for it too...it will be something to try anyway.
Just a large, drilled rubber stopper with an airlock in it will work fine.

Again, you really need some kind of setup with a powerful pump and a riser tube to clean them.

well more googling, is needed...

it's a curtec 7055 drum, with apparently a H14-309 gasket? all i need is the gasket, but can't seem to get any hits for H14-309....damn now that song is going through my head, lol

Anywhere that gets large shipments of honey or liquid malt extract is likely to get them in fifteen pound plastic drums. Homebrew shops might return those but restaurants or food manufacturers might recycle them. Certainly worth calling around in your area.

you can't just lay down a bead of silicone and a few weights on top for a decent seal?
I did put a bead of silicon around the top, stainless screws, etc. I believe it is sealed, but there is enough air exchange through the plastic to cause off flavors, if left greater than 2 weeks.

I use two 50lb vittles vaults for fermenters because they fit side by side in my fridge.
14"x"14"20"
they hold 13 gallons. just perfect for a 10 gallon batch.
they are $39 each shipped off amazon.
a little higher than what i paid for them last yr.

the 80lb vittles vaults hold 20 gallons. 14x14x28"
those are more than i need and go for $55 each shipped.

I just ordered a new lid for one and it is the same lid they use for their 5 gallon buckets so seals and lids are easy to get.

Just got my Vittles vault delivered, didn't look big enough to the eye. but i filled it with 9+ gallons of water PERFECT! (my mash tun would have to be to the brim to test it with 10, but there's plenty of room for krausen with 9.5 or so......and it is just a big gamma lid bucket, so when the seal goes, should be easyily replaceable!

you're a life saver @NitrogenWidget at least until gamma lids go out of style anyway! :mug:

edit: and next time my o-ring gets hemorrhoids, only $6 for 1 with a spare!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391600037954?hash=item5b2d2e6042:g:S90AAOSwHNxaLyWM

some people like posting pics of SS bling, this is my most recent brewery upgrade!

Last edited:
Just got my Vittles vault delivered, didn't look big enough to the eye. but i filled it with 9+ gallons of water PERFECT! (my mash tun would have to be to the brim to test it with 10, but there's plenty of room for krausen with 9.5 or so......and it is just a big gamma lid bucket, so when the seal goes, should be easyily replaceable!

you're a life saver @NitrogenWidget at least until gamma lids go out of style anyway! :mug:

edit: and next time my o-ring gets hemorrhoids, only $6 for 1 with a spare!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391600037954?hash=item5b2d2e6042:g:S90AAOSwHNxaLyWM

some people like posting pics of SS bling, this is my most recent brewery upgrade!

i had to replace my lid on mine and was so happy when i found out it uses a standard gamma.

for some reason i wanted to update....just dumped my wort in the vault, waiting a few hours for the sounds a bubbles!

oh so beautiful bubbles! gotta say the thing was a little flimsier then my old bucket with the 185f sparge water in it though...

Back