Trying to create a recipe from what I have lying around?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoedBrew

Reaction score
Ok so I want to not spend anymore money on my next batch of beer... Here is a list of ingredients I have here at the house I just want to create a recipe from this what do you all think?

Plenty of 2-Row
Plenty of Pale Malt
5 lbs of Crystal 60
.25lb of CaraRed
plenty of corn sugar, cane sugar, Honey, oak chips.
for hops: Plenty of the following Columbus 14%AA, Calypso 12.5% AA, Sonnet 5% AA.

Yeasts available: Wyeast 1056 American Ale, Wyeast 1272 American Ale 2, Wyeast 1028 London Ale. All washed from previous batches.

What do you think of this?
Malt
4 lbs of Pale Malt
3.5 lbs of 2-Row
.5 lbs of Crystal 60
.25 lb of CaraRed
.5 lb of either Corn Sugar@10min or Honey @0 minutes

Hop
.75 Sonnet 60min
.50 Calypso 10min
.25 Columbus 0min

Fermentation: Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast 68 degrees for 2 weeks, After two weeks add .25oz of oak chips for another week...
Keg

Promash says OG 1.049...not bad maybe add a little more corn sugar to get that up a bit?

Thoughts?

Looks like something of an English Red. The Sonnet and Calypso should play nicely together and blend well enough with Columbus. If you want to up the OG a bit more, I think I'd go with either honey or brown sugar instead of adding more corn sugar (in addition to the 8oz you already have) just to provide a bit of the sweetness backbone whilst still drying it up some.

hmmm, I didn't consider brown sugar...that could be interesting?
I was thinking along the lines on an English mild or Red also...

8 lbs of 2 row
.75lb Crystal 60
.25lb CaraRed
.5 lb corn sugar
.5 lb Brown Sugar

Hops
.75 oz Sonnet 5% 60min
.5 oz Calypso 12% 15min
.25 oz Columbus 15% 0min

After fermentation is complete I want to add some Oak chips anyone know how much oak I should add just to give it a slight character?

Looking good; between the crystal and brown sugar, you should have a good balance of malt-sweet. Having never oaked my brews before, I'll hold off on any suggestions there and let someone more knowledgeable step in :).

IMO if you want just a subtle oak character I would add .5 oz of light toast oak chips for one week after primary ferm. is complete. I would also recommend soaking the oak chips in bourbon for a week to sanitize them before tossing in (strain off the bourbon before dumping in... and try a sip of it if you don't believe me lol).

Yeah I have heard soaking them in burbon or steaming them in a bit of water...some people say they just throw them in??

I've heard too many other bad experiences of infection from the "toss them and pray" strategy. I'd definitely go the bourbon route. But then again, I'm a bourbon drinker :).

Back