Trying to come up with a simple ale for an event

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklett

Reaction score
My daughter is planning a speakeasy party at the assisted living she works at and they asked if I would make beer for it. It's less than a month out so I figured an ale should be doable by then. How does this recipe look?

4 lbs 2 row
4 lbs Maris Otter
4 oz. melanoidin

.25 oz. Magnum for 60 minutes
1 oz. Spalter for 15 minutes

US-05 at 68

Should come in around 4.5% and 21 IBU with a little malty something.

I also have Hallertau Mittelfruh, Tettnanger, Citra, BRU-1, and Azacca as other hop options but the grains listed are the only ones I have on hand(full sacks except for the melanoidin). I am going to brew it Saturday so it will be ready(ish) by the party. I don't want to go too far from simple being it has to appeal to a lot of folks that may not want "craft" beer. Any suggestions or alterations to the recipe are welcome.

It looks like what you're describing: a clean, simple ale. If it were me I'd probably drop the 2-row and go with a full 8 lbs. of Maris Otter. I like Maris Otter!

I like your recipe it will be an easy drinker. I've had great success with wit beers at block parties and events where not a lot of home brewers attend.

@jklett : over here on the "north coast (USA)", there are limits to what one can be done with home brewed beer.

IANAL, the state of New Jersey may be different so YMMV. :mug:
The only thing I can find relates to sales, I'd be donating it for their party. If anyone knows if that would be illegal, please let me know and I'll just buy these folks a keg from the liquor store so they don't go without.

Since home brew beer is covered by both federal and state laws you need to find out what laws pertain to you in New Jersey by asking a lawyer who practices in New Jersey. What may be fine in my state might get you an orange jumpsuit in yours.

I've decided against sharing my beer with the elderly just in case a lawyer decides to try and make a name off of my charity. Mods, please lock the thread.

Last edited:
Back