True Danish Beer Recipe???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillAdams

Reaction score
In July I and my family will be going to Antelope Montana to attend the 100th year celebration of the foundation of that town. It was settled by Danish and Norwegian people. In honor of the people to survived the bitter cold and those people that followed, I want to create a beer that might have been made during that time, (I know these people had to have drank a lot of beer, there isn't much else to do during the winter.) DO YOU KNOW WHAT KIND OF BEER WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE AROUND 1910? Either Danish, Norwegian or local Northeast Montana beer circa 1910 is the goal here. I plan on making 4 kegs of it and giving it out as samples to the local people there.

Eurolager, pretty much the same as now although it would have had less or no adjuncts and more hops. Carlsberg is the home of the first cultured lager yeast which is available as the Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager yeast. Make an all malt lager with German pils malt to an OG of 1.054 then bitter and flavor with German and Czech hops to an IBU of 40.

Carlsberg's pilsener wasn't brewed before 1904, though. The brewery originally started out brewing "bayersk øl" (Munich Dunkel), a style so popular that the Danes to this day call most beer "bayer". It was also one of the most common styles in Norway.

Just brew a classic Munich Dunkel. The guy santosvega links to claims Carlsberg's Dunkel is (was?) brewed with pilsener malt and caramel colouring, which would be disappointing, but if you want a 1910 Norwegian beer, you need to adhere to the Reinheitsgebot.

I have had plenty of Turburg beer in my days living in Germany and was never impressed. Being from Norway do you have any ideas what would be the most local hops that would have been used at the turn of the last century?

Tuborg is a beer that shows off its main ingredient exceptionally well.

German hops are most popular these days, afaik. At least some breweries will have used them back then as well. Growing hops for brewing was actually mandated by law for every farm in Norway back in the days, but I'm not aware of any successful commercial hop farming.

Back