True Brew Oktoberfest lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotCline

Reaction score
So my girlfriend being as awesome as she is got me the True Brew Oktoberfest extract kit for Christmas. It came with an ale yeast packet, but I wanted to use Wyeast's Oktoberfest lager yeast. I figure I will ferment it in my chest freezer, then rack to secondary in a keg to lager. This will be my first lager yeast beer. Do I need to add anything else when lagering, or is just the change in yeast good enough. I think I may not do a starter due to not having any equipment for that yet. Would pitching two yeast packets work? The OG for the kit is 1.040-1.042.
Secondly, the instructions for the kit are kind of bad. It says to use 1-1.5 gallons of water for the boil. It also says to boil for 20-30 minutes after the 2oz hopp additions. Should I follow them, or just use a 2.5 gallon boil for 60 minutes? Anyone with experience with this kit?
Lastly, if I do use the lager yeast, when do I pitch it? Do I pitch it when below 70 then continue to cool it in the freezer to 48, or do I put it in the freezer to 48 and then pitch? Thanks!:)

Bump with info.
I brewed it tonight, and added 1lb of light DME to up the OG to 1.053. I used beersmith, and that seemed to be the best option. The IBU's were just a tad bit low, but I think that I will be ok with it. I used a 3 gallon boil. I pitched the Wyeast Oktoberfest yeast at 60 degrees and put it in the freezer that is set for 50. I couldnt find any other threads where someone posted how it turned out. So I guess I will just update this one in a few months! Next question, how long does this usually take to ferment? I was thinking of checking on it in 3 weeks and transfering to a keg to secondary/lager in. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

If you are supposed to boil the hops for 20-30, you are aiming for a small amount of bitterness but more flavor. Adjusting this to a 60 min boil will reduce flavor and increase bitterness. You will have beer, but it may be off-style. If you are putting it in a competition, that is bad. If enjoying with friends (or alone), it doesn't matter as much as long as you like it.

I only did a 30 minute boil. Just upped the water to 3 gallons so that I would not end up with caramel in the pot. Checked on it tonight, and it is happily bubbling away at 49 degrees.

PilotCline said:
I only did a 30 minute boil. Just upped the water to 3 gallons so that I would not end up with caramel in the pot. Checked on it tonight, and it is happily bubbling away at 49 degrees.

Sounds perfect.

UPDATE!
Well, it has been a long road. After fermentation and a diacetyl rest, I put it in my chest freezer at 32 degrees for 2 months and 5 days. I force carbed it last Friday, and had my first pint last night. It is OK. Not great, not bad. My biggest complaint is that it is a little more hopped then I would have liked for an Oktoberfest. The clarity is brilliant. Great aroma, excellent lacing. I am very pleased with it as my first lager beer. Think that I will do the Northern Brewer kit for my next try at an Oktoberfest. I am just not able to get going on all grain yet do to space/possible moving issues.

UPDATE!
Well, it has been a long road. After fermentation and a diacetyl rest, I put it in my chest freezer at 32 degrees for 2 months and 5 days. I force carbed it last Friday, and had my first pint last night. It is OK. Not great, not bad. My biggest complaint is that it is a little more hopped then I would have liked for an Oktoberfest. The clarity is brilliant. Great aroma, excellent lacing. I am very pleased with it as my first lager beer. Think that I will do the Northern Brewer kit for my next try at an Oktoberfest. I am just not able to get going on all grain yet do to space/possible moving issues.

I'm glad it worked out for you. I had the same kit and it didn't turn out too well, I did use the Muntons yeast that came with it, though.

Sorry to resurrect an old dead thread of mine, but I figured I would throw in an update. I ended up letting the keg sit in my keezer for quite a few Months. At the end of September of 2013 my girlfriend had an Oktoberfest party at her house. I ended up bringing the keg to get it emptied quickly. Well if the extra 5 months in the keg didn't work magic. It was amazing. Everyone loved it more so then the commercial Oktoberfest kegs that she bought. My only regret was not being able to save some into a few bottles to send to a competition or just save for later. The keg only lasted a few hours, but everyone loved it. That extra aging seemed to do the trick. The only downside was when everyone left for the night, my kegs were floating and hers were still nearly full. That pissed her off pretty good.:mug:

Back