True Brew Brand and ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillyphrank

Reaction score
So im obviously new to this hobby. Im wondering how i can increase the ABV of my True Brew Oktoberfest extract Kit. I already know from reading that it will change the flavor of the beer because im using a manufactured ingredient kit...But i'd like to know how to safely (for the beer), and correctly (add additional ingredients to balance brew). I know from this new addiction there is an answer out there. Thanks, and best in brewing.

Hey PP,
The Truebrew OKfest kit brings back fond memories for me. It was my 1st brew, and then again my 5th.
The 1st time I followed the recipe by rote, and it turned out great!
The next time I did play around with it. Added 1 lb honey and some Munich malt( plus fermented with a lager yeast) Much better!
I like adding honey to my brews rather than table sugar, but that's just me. Honey is about 95% fermentable and at the level of 1-2 lb per 5 G, added late boil, won't change the flavor much. 1lb per 5G will increase ABV by about 0.7%, depending on your yeast.

Back