True Blood Party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanley1271

Reaction score
So my friend is having a True Blood party for the premier episode coming up and has asked me to bring some of my beer. Now I have the stuff to make an Irish Red, but I thought I would like to have it look more like blood red. So I figured I would add food coloring to it. I think I can just rake it to another carboy and add food coloring till I get the color I want, right?

I will be kegging this beer to take over to the party. Is there anything I should be worried about with the food coloring added to the beer in a keg? I cannot really think of anything that could be an issue, but then again I did not think there was anything wrong with dumping all of the hops into the boil at 60 mins on one of my first batches either. Damn was that ever a hop bomb. :drunk:

Also, anyone have any other ideas for other drinks or food for a party like this? We are trying to keep it themed to the show.

Thanks all,
-Stanley

I spent a whole summer trying to brew a blood-red beer for Halloween called blud Lyte. I tried heavy concentrations of red beets in an Irish Red. That was my best attempt at a "naturally red beer". Just pink.
Then I went to the craft store. Wilton's make icing dye that is EXTREMELY potent. It's like a paste in a little jar about the size of a tea candle. Get the "flavorless red". Made a pale ale. It worked.
As an added bonus, I bought those little "chemical lights" that you break and they glow in red. One for every glass. Three for a buck at the Dollar Store. We had Blud Lyte for the Halloween party.

Actually I have some of that icing dye sitting at home. I tried to take up doing extreme cake design for a hobby a while back. I had not thought about using them. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks.

-Stanley

depending on the lines for your kegs, you may get some red staining but if you run a lot of darks through it afterward you probably won't notice.

One thing to note, someone tried to do the same thing, except a green beer for St. Pattys day. I forget when he added the food coloring, but the coloring completely disappeared. Might be easiest to add a few drops to the bottom of the pint glass before pouring.

Did anyone else on seeing the title of the thread think this was about an even more radical offshoot of the tea party?:cross:

slightly off topic and slightly unpleasant but does food coloring give anybody else the runs? after every st. patty's day....whew, that's a rough morning. of course it could be all the other stuff i'm doing by food coloring in beer always seems to have a poor influence on my system.

slightly off topic and slightly unpleasant but does food coloring give anybody else the runs? after every st. patty's day....whew, that's a rough morning. of course it could be all the other stuff i'm doing by food coloring in beer always seems to have a poor influence on my system.

why i make it a habit to drink beer that food coloring wouldn't show up with, no matter how much! :D

I made a beer I called "True Blood" that was the blood orange hefeweizen from Extreme Brewing. it was a crowd pleaser, but definitely wasn't red. The blood oranges I used weren't very dark though, but even with darker oranges I don't think the beer would get very red.

Regardless, putting a label on the beer that looked just like the True Blood drink labels was fun :)

Back