Trub Still floating in primary after 3 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordiepete

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've Trub Still floating in primary after 3 weeks, Shouldn't it of sunk to the bottom by now? Am I Ok to bottle?

You could try crash cooling it - drop it's temp to the low 30's for a few days, and a lot should drop out. Of course, I assume that it has stopped fermenting! Some hydrometer readings to confirm that would be a good idea before crashing it.

Sometimes the gunk doesn't fall out at the end of fermentation. I've noticed on slower ferments there isn't as much activity and currents in the wort. I think this lack of activity coupled with surface tension allows some of the Kreausen to float on top of the beer.

If it is done fermenting, and it should be after 3 weeks, you can go ahead and rack it either into a secondary or bottling bucket. Just be careful not to pick up too much stuff from the surface.

cheers guys, I did get a really good ferment out of it, started at 1045 and finished up at 1014-1015.

Back