trub and angel share loss in barrel aging sour beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rorygilmore

Reaction score
My club filled a 60 gallon wine barrel 26 months ago with a lambic inspired base beer, and the time has finally come to empty it. We conducted primary fermentation outside of the barrel, but when we racked we purposely transferred most of the yeast cake into the barrel in an attempt to simulate the process used by lambic brewers.

Does anyone have a guess on how much "clean" beer we'll end up with after trub loss and angel share? We're trying to figure out how many empty kegs we need to have available.

Never used a barrel, but themadfermentationist got 45 gallons bottled from a 55 gallon barrel. This seems like a strange beer to keg. I would think tasting it change over time as it bottle-aged would be half the fun.

What would be awesome is to do it Solera style- take 10G out, then add a fresh 10G in.

Theoretically, you'd have wonderful sour beer in perpituity.

I keg mine. I do a blending of young beer (unsoured) with the barrel, as well as straight barrel, and blended barrel beer aged on fruit. I typically bottle a few for cellaring. I like using the solera process for my barrel. I can taste how the beer progresses over time and pull off a keg when I think it is tasting especially tasty and then pitch in 20-30 liters of fresh (unsoured) beer to start the process all over again. I am typically kegging beer from my barrel once every 3-6 months.

As far as the original question. I don't know what is going on at the bottom of my barrel trub wise. My angel share is several liters every 6 months or so.

Latest posts

Back