Troubleshooting P-J's Auberin-wiring1-SYL-2352-basic5-RIMS diagram

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noidios

Reaction score
Hello all,
I finally got around to testing this build and am having the following problems that I just can't figure out:

fuse -5A regularly blows (the fuse feeding the pump switch)
LED for pump never comes on
pump never comes on

Other notes:
The fuse doesn't always blow
pump doesn't come on even when fuse is good

I've triple checked my wiring and can't find anything wrong, but I'm obviously missing something. What would make this fuse blow? How can I trace this problem with my multimeter?

Thanks,
Russ

rims.jpg

Hello all,
I finally got around to testing this build and am having the following problems that I just can't figure out:

fuse -5A regularly blows (the fuse feeding the pump switch)
LED for pump never comes on
pump never comes on
If the LED on the pump switch never comes on, there is a wiring error or you ordered the wrong switch. Disconnect the pump and try again to see what happens.
Other notes:
The fuse doesn't always blow
pump doesn't come on even when fuse is good
It might be possible that the pump is defective. Plug it in to a standard outet and see if the pump operates properly (thus eliminating the controller).
I've triple checked my wiring and can't find anything wrong, but I'm obviously missing something. What would make this fuse blow? How can I trace this problem with my multimeter?

Thanks,
Russ

Please let me know so that I can help you.

P-J

The fuse is a slow blow fuse right? The pump might momentarily draw more current on startup.

If the LED on the pump switch never comes on, there is a wiring error or you ordered the wrong switch. Disconnect the pump and try again to see what happens.

Thanks for chiming in P-J. The switch is the SW1. I have swapped it out with another with the same result. The switch does not light up regardless of whether the pump is plugged in or not.

It might be possible that the pump is defective. Plug it in to a standard outet and see if the pump operates properly (thus eliminating the controller).

The pump has been tested in a standard outlet and works fine.

The fuse is a slow blow fuse right? The pump might momentarily draw more current on startup.

I have been using fast acting fuses. I'll try a slow one and see if that gets me anywhere.
Thanks,
Russ

I have been using fast acting fuses. I'll try a slow one and see if that gets me anywhere.
Thanks,
Russ

Maybe P-J will chime in on the slow vs fast blow fuses. I went back and looked at his drawing and many times he says fast blow on the pumps.

This is from the sticky article on the top of this section of the forum or from this link.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/electrical-primer-brewers-145019/

Device Protection: (Added 11/4)
To protect a device, (ie PID Controller, March Pump, Panel Lamp, etc, etc) it needs a dedicated fuse.
There are two main types of fuses, Fast Acting and Slow Blow.
Fast Acting fuses respond very quickly to over currents and should be used on devices that are very sensitive and easily damaged.
Slow Blow Fuses - Have a bit of forgiveness in them when it comes to over currents. They are designed for devices like pumps that have short periods surge current. It takes a sustained over current to cause a Slow Blow to pop.

Fuses should be rated for 125% to 150% of the rated current draw for a device.
Example: March pumps draw 1.4Amps at 120V. A proper sized slow blow fuse would fall some where between 1.4*1.25 = 1.75A and 1.4 * 1.5= 2.1A. So a 1.75 Amp or 2 Amp Slow Blow fuse would be acceptable per pump. Start on the small end and if there are nuisance blows (fuse burns for no real reason) then goto the next size.

The way I look at it is like what is stated in that thread. Things like pumps do have a high start up draw and it would be better to have a slow blow fuse of the proper rating than bumping the size of a fuse because you got tired of it blowing for no reason all the time.

Solved - I mislabeled the outputs for the heating element and the pump. Obviously the element was drawing more than 5 amps. Sorry to waste your time and thanks again for the help!
Russ

Back