RIMS Build Troubleshooting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewNSachs

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've just "finished" wiring up my RIMS toolbox using one of P-J's awesome wiring diagrams:
234151d1415300293-list-pj-electrical-diagrams-auberin-wiring1-syl-2352-basic5-rims-s.jpg

I'm running in to a problem with my RIMS power outlet. For some reason only a small amount of power is making it's way to the plug. Pretty new to electrical work, and was wondering if there are any places I should start troubleshooting? I don't even know if you guys can offer any advice without seeing it hands on, just thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks!

Barely enough to power a couple of LEDs. Plugged in a computer fan to test the outlet, wouldn't spin the fan, and only flickered the LEDs.

the SSR is designed so it takes a power draw for it to turn on and pass full voltage and current

UNPLUG main power

Do you have a multi-meter?

lets be careful what you're playing with ...when you say plug, I think AC , and LEDs and computer fans work with DC , so they won't work in the first place.

Do you have a voltmeter? if not, you , (or someone) is going to need one to determine where to problem lies if you can't find a wiring mistake.

also, ensure that you have the polarity correct from the auber pid to the SSR
hope that helps

IF the actual wiring matches the schematic, then when the controller is plugged in there will be some voltage leakage from the SSR. This is normal for an SSR. If you have an LED on the outlet as well, it will be dimmed since the amount of power crossing the SSR is so little. This will not occur when a load is placed on the circuit. Plug in a fan or a lamp.

Do a search on SSR leakage for additional information.

Back