Trouble with new corks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detlion1643

Reaction score
For my first 4-5 batches of anything, I opted to go with used synthetic corks I got from a local wine store that does tastings. I assumed these were #8 as they always went easy by hand. I had a couple with designs on them that resemble the #9's I've seen and they were harder to get in the bottles.

However, for my latest batch tonight, I picked up a package of brand new #9 synthetics from the lhbs along with 2 brand new packages of clear unlabeled bottles. I bottled 23 bottles of an apple cinnamon tonight. 20 of them with the older #8 corks, easy as always...

The last 3 bottles, there was no way in hell I could get the corks in the bottles. My uncle gave me a device a long time go, where you "pound"/"push" the top, with the cork in the bottom. However, I imagine that you need the cork somewhat seated inside the neck first, which I couldn't even do.

My question is, would new #8 corks be as easy as the used ones I have? Considering I now have about 20 - 25 of the #9's that I can't use?

*Just holding the #9's on top of the bottle, they were wider than the bottle neck all the way around.

Easy fix, get a table top corker, they are like 50$, the one you are using most people use 1 time and throw away, they are very dangerous if you are trying to slam in a cork and your bottle breaks, for what you would pay for stictches instead get a tabletop, some also have a capper so you can also do beer bottles. WVMJ

I haven't made anything long enough to store longer than 3-6 months yet. At some point I'll invest in a floor corker, as it seems that would fix the problem. But for now, no leakage with the used corks.

I did it the same way you did for about a year or so and then also realized that 50 bucks is a lot cheaper than pain and hospital bills. Also I am curious as to how you are utilizing "used" corks???? Typically when I cork is removed a hole is driven threw it and it is no longer useful.

No holes in them. Not sure what the store uses them for, if they are their real corks or tasting corks. They seem to always have a pile of them around in great condition though for me.

Latest posts

Back