Trouble with mash efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGowls

Reaction score
I did my first BIAB earlier today and am having trouble with figuring out my mash efficiency. I used 10 pounds of maris otter, My pre boil volume was 7 gallons with a 1.056 SG. My post boil volume was a little over 5 gallons with a 1.052 reading. Ive looked at different forum posts and things online and still cant figure out the efficiency. Can someone please help me figure out what efficiency I achieved? If its a low efficiency, itll just be a learning experience as I need to get dialed in on my new outdoor burner. The predicted efficiency was 82.4 on beersmith if that helps at all. Thanks in advance

You post boil gravity should always be higher than you pre boil if no water is added after the pre boil reading. MO (edit: 2 row base malt) has somewhere around 38 pts/lb/gal (How to Brew by John Palmer) if 100% efficiency is achieved, so your pre boil gravity should have been a max of 38 x 10 / 7 = 54.3 or 1.054, giving a post boil max gravity of 54.3 x 7 / 5 = 1.076. Was all the wort mixed well for your pre boil reading? Assuming your post boil reading was correct your pre boil would have been 1.037, so 37 / 54.3 = 68.3% efficiency. Hope this helps?

My preboil reading may have been off, I didnt really mix the wort well enough before grabbing a sample. With the post boil reading, I may have not gotten it down all the way to 60* before taking a hydro sample. There were alot of problems with my brew day so it could have been for a number of reasons why the efficiency was so low. Thanks for the help again

Back