Trouble with carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haydn-Juby

Reaction score
So recently I fermented an Irish red kit from Festa-brew. I waited about 2 weeks for it to carbonate but it ended up pretty flat. I stored my beer in a room about 62-65 degrees once it was bottled.

Maybe I'm just being impatient. How long does a brew regularly take to carbonate? All mine only took like 2 weeks.

There are no carbonation problems, only patience ones.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer. Beers stored colder than 70, take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Try to bring them up to 70-75F for a couple more weeks. In the summer my beer carbonates in 1-2 weeks because it's 75F in my basement. This time of year it's about 65F in my basement and they take forever to carbonate if I don't move them upstairs for a few weeks after bottling.

The low 60°s is kind of cool for bottle conditioning. Move your bottles to around 70° to 74°. After one week refrigerate a bottle for three days. Should start showing some carbonation. Complete bottle conditioning may take three weeks.

0 replies as I type and then

Temperature really affects how long it takes for your beer to carbonate. At those temperatures I would expect it to take 5 to 6 weeks. Warm them to 72 and it might only take 2 or 3.

Alright seems good. I have a severe case of brewers paranoia I guess. Everything I think might slightly alter the beer puts me in a huge fit. It makes sense, just looking for some more experienced advice.

Back