Trouble with a killer vine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfgoat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this vine. It is growing like crazy and is killing off my mulberry trees among other plants on my yard. It is huge and spread all along the perimeter of my yard. Figured some garden savvy person on the forum could tell me more about it.

1406690253260.jpg

Looks like a wild grape - there are a lot of different native species. Can you post a close up of the leaves?

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Muscadines? Those look like muscadines to me but I'm by no means an expert.

My personal preference between the two muscadines > mulberries. I just remember growing up and having to dodge the hordes of birds and the off white/purple bombs they'd blast everywhere.

Take a rag & a bottle of Roundup, dab some Roundup on the vine leaves with the rag (you might want to wear gloves for this). Applying herbicide this way makes certain to get the target & leave any desirable vegetation unscathed. Might take you a couple of apps to eradicate the vine, many vines are notoriously tough & adaptable.
Regards, GF.

The easiest way to save your trees is to cut the vine in two places an inch or so apart all around the tree(s) Then do your roundup or weed killer approach. Gives the plant less material to photosynthesize from and allows the climbing part of the vine to die sooner so you can pull it out of the tree. Maybe even poison the cut area too.

Cut. Let the tops die. Dig out the roots. Digging will be less expensive and work better.

You can also weed whack or mow over the area they grow from each week. They'll run out of energy and the roots will die.

Good advice all around. Mechanical and chemical control will yield the best result!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Back