Triple Threat IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregscsu

Reaction score
I have several Lbs of hops to use and thought this might be a good way to use some up. I have never made an IPA with more then 6oz of hops so I kind of wanted to try this anyways.

Any and all input will be appreciated.
Thanks, Greg

Triple Threat IPA

OG 1.092
FG 1.023
IBU 122
ABV 8.9 %
SRM 10

Boil Volume 7.0 gallons
Batch Size 5.5 gallons

Fermentables
14.00 American Two-row Pale
2.00 American Wheat
0.75 American Crystal 60L
0.25 American Crystal 40L

Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) AA% Boil Time
1.00 Cascade 5.4% FWH
1.00 Amarillo 3.6% FWH
1.00 Columbus 14.2% FWH
1.00 Columbus 14.2% 60min
1.00 Amarillo 3.6% 18min
1.00 Cascade 5.4% 18min
1.00 Columbus 14.2% 18min
1.00 Amarillo 3.6% 7min
1.00 Cascade 5.4% 7min
1.00 Columbus 14.2% 7min
1.00 Amarillo 3.6% Dry
1.00 Cascade 5.4% Dry
1.00 Columbus 14.2% Dry
13.00oz IBUs 134.5

Sounds tasty. I really like Amarillo/Smcoe/Columbus, so your combo should work well. My feeling on IPAs is that the finishing hops should be pushed as close to flame out as possible.I'd move the 15 min hops to 5 min and the 7 min hops to 0. I actually like to add a bit of hops every minute or so to the beer as it cools for the first few minutes to make sure I lock in as much of those volatile aromatics as possible.

For big IPAs I also like to add some sugar in place of some of the malt to ensure a dry finish. Its a tip I picked up from Russian River, I think the sweetness can get in the way of a hop forward beer.

Good luck.

Sounds tasty. I really like Amarillo/Smcoe/Columbus, so your combo should work well. My feeling on IPAs is that the finishing hops should be pushed as close to flame out as possible.I'd move the 15 min hops to 5 min and the 7 min hops to 0. I actually like to add a bit of hops every minute or so to the beer as it cools for the first few minutes to make sure I lock in as much of those volatile aromatics as possible.

For big IPAs I also like to add some sugar in place of some of the malt to ensure a dry finish. Its a tip I picked up from Russian River, I think the sweetness can get in the way of a hop forward beer.

Good luck.

I was hoping to get a balance of hop aroma and flavor from the FWH, 18 min, and 7, min additions and i figured the dry hops will give a huge hop aroma.

Obviously there will be no mistaking that this beer is over hopped.

Also I plan on mashing at 150F to increase the fermentability and pitching a large amount of WY1056, I am confident I can get it to ferment down to 1.018 + or - 2.
This should give a good balance of hops to malt, if it stalls out sooner, I will have one heck of a barley wine on my hands. I really try to avoid using sugar unless it is unavoidable, as in a belgian strong ale.

I was hoping to get a balance of hop aroma and flavor from the FWH, 18 min, and 7, min additions and i figured the dry hops will give a huge hop aroma.

Obviously there will be no mistaking that this beer is over hopped.

Also I plan on mashing at 150F to increase the fermentability and pitching a large amount of WY1056, I am confident I can get it to ferment down to 1.018 + or - 2.
This should give a good balance of hops to malt, if it stalls out sooner, I will have one heck of a barley wine on my hands. I really try to avoid using sugar unless it is unavoidable, as in a belgian strong ale.

As I said, personal preferences. I like big IPAs that finish sub 1.012 (Plinys for example), higher than that and they end up tasting more like American Barleywine to me. Similarly with the hops, I don't get nearly as much "flavor" from mid-boil hop additions as I do from loading the hops up right at the end of the boil.

Good luck, hope it turns out well.

Thought I would post an update.

I will be bottling this brew tonight and I am glad to say it went from 1.091 to 1.014 for 10.5% ABV without using any simple sugars.

Tasting notes will come in three weeks or so.

Back