Trip to the US, what breweries to visit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyp42

Reaction score
Hi Gents, The missus and I are looking at heading to the US in March for 3 weeks. (Its my first time to the US.)

What are some breweries that are worth visiting whilst we are there in the following locations we will be visiting.

NYC
DC (Driving to Nashville so anything on the way)
Nashville
LA
SD

The criteria is they must serve decent beers including stouts or dark beers as thats all the missus usually drinks. And have a decent food menu (Or food trucks)

Thanks guys.

On your list, I've only been to NYC and DC. I don't have a lot of great brewery recommendations for those areas but if your open to craft beer bars w/ food, Torst in NYC and Churchkey in DC are must visits. Both have good food and plenty of options for the dark beer lover.

Bearded Iris is one of my favorites in Nashville

Last edited:
Hi Gents, The missus and I are looking at heading to the US in March for 3 weeks. (Its my first time to the US.)

What are some breweries that are worth visiting whilst we are there in the following locations we will be visiting.

NYC
Nashville
LA
SD

The criteria is they must serve decent beers including stouts or dark beers as thats all the missus usually drinks. And have a decent food menu (Or food trucks)

Thanks guys.

If you're willing to travel outside of Manhattan you can always hit up Bronx Brewery and Brooklyn Brewery....two of my personal favorites. You can also hit up Eatly which has great food and DFH beer on tap.

In SD I would go to South Park Brewing...delicious tacos and excellent beer selection!

Bearded Iris and Southern Grist are 2 of the better ones I've had from Nashville. If your travels take you through Chattanooga, I've had some good beers from Hutton & Smith.

Edit: missed the part about menus or food trucks, I've not actually been to the breweries and don't know if they have either. Since the TN portion of your trip will be a bit later than when you first arrive, a quick call to the breweries should let yo know if they have food.

Nashville I would totally agree with BI and Southern Grist. I’d add Smith and Lentz, Tailgate, Yazoo (especially their embrace the funk stuff) and Mantra. Not open to the public but Ramshackle is pretty good and it’s in my back yard. We operate as a not for profit so beers are free.

Nashville I would totally agree with BI and Southern Grist. I’d add Smith and Lentz, Tailgate, Yazoo (especially their embrace the funk stuff) and Mantra. Not open to the public but Ramshackle is pretty good and it’s in my back yard. We operate as a not for profit so beers are free.
and if you're over by Yazoo, you might as well visit Jackelope!

Honestly DC is not a great scene for good breweries.. There are many and none are great. Plenty of great bars though to serve beers from around the world

If you are going to SD you need to hit up White Labs. I've never been but it's on my wish list for the near future. They have several different beers all fermented with different yeasts.

Being from SD, most breweries around here are going to serve IPAs predominantly. Stone and Societe brewing are some of my favs.

NYC
Nashville
LA
SD

Thanks guys.

Not directly on your route, but out of NYC head south along the Atlantic Coast to Delaware to visit Dog Fish Head. Good tour, great beer, interesting backstory of how a small time home brewer made it BIG.

Then head westward through Pennsylvania to Hershey, PA, home of Hershey Chocolate of course, and tour Troeg's Brewing a few miles east of Chocolate World. Once again, good tour, great beer and a neat backstory. Plan on spending at least a day in Hershey. Lots to do.

From there head south to Frederick, MD, to Flying Dog Brewery where every beer is theme-named after something "K-9". My favorites are "Doggie Style" and "Raging *****". (Beers, that is). Frederick is about 1 hour from the Capitol Beltway that circles D.C. Lots of really good brews in and around the DC/Baltimore area, if you have a few months to visit. Heading to Nashville, however, I'd recommend driving from the Frederick area down Interstate Highway I-81 through Virginia to I-64 to I-26 to Asheville, NC. The drive is one of the prettier in the eastern U.S.

Asheville is a once-sleepy little rural mountain town made famous by Cornelius Vanderbilt's Biltmore Estates, which is really worth doing. Plan on spending at least a day touring the mansion and grounds. Asheville itself is an artistic and cultural oasis in the heart of Hillbilly 'Merica. A number of national craft breweries have either relocated or opened second eastern seaboard breweries in Asheville. Definitely should put this on your itinerary.

From Asheville you're about a three-hour drive to Nashville, which is the site and host city for HomeBrewCon 2020. Also, Country Music Capital of the World.

I guessing you're then flying to the West Coast. Too bad. There's lots to see and do along the way, but I understand the limitations on time only too well. SWMBO'd and I have spent much of the past 6 years traveling the highways and back roads of the U.S., having visited all 48 of the contiguous states as well as 5 Canadian Provinces. Just for the record, that's a LOT of wineries and breweries.

In San Diego you can't miss Ballast Point and Stone Brewing. L.A., I wouldn't know where to start. Pick one, it'll be great. But my favs have been south of LAX a few miles at Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach. I've lost more than a few brain cells at Redondo Beach Brewing Company over the years.

By stopping at L.A., you're really selling yourself short on a Brew Tour of the U.S. You need to visit the Napa/Sonoma area north of San Francisco to stop at Russian River Brewing to taste Vinnie's "Pliny the Elder", which (to my tastes) is still the undisputed and never-to-be-equalled American IPA. And you MUST drink it at the brewery if you want it to count towards your 'brew cred'.

I haven't even begun to mention Oregon and Washington. Suffice it to say it's Brew-topia.

Like anywhere else in the world there are great breweries, good ones, average and terrible ones. Believe me I seen a lot of each category. But the ones I mentioned are some of the more memorable great ones, at least along the travel route you laid out. I'm sure there are countless others that folks on this thread will point out, which just underscores my great lament: "So many breweries....so little time."

Brooo Brother

Not directly on your route, but out of NYC head south along the Atlantic Coast to Delaware to visit Dog Fish Head. Good tour, great beer, interesting backstory of how a small time home brewer made it BIG.

Dogfish head is on the to do list and we will probably be staying at the Dog fish inn. Sams series "Brew masters" and his book is what got me started in home brewing almost 10 years ago and its been a dream of mine to visit DFH ever since.

thanks heaps for the suggestions of breweries and other things to see along the way. Will be a duding them to the list. We were originally going to do SF but had to cu that out to fit in Nashville. Otherwise the trip will end up being 4 weeks..

Thanks to everyone else for the great suggestions.

Back