tricks.for.drilling.plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all-natural-nut

Reaction score
I.have.my.plastic.buckets,grommets,and.air-locks.
i'm.ready.to.drill!!

BUT--last.time.i.tried.to.drill.plastic,it.was.not.very.pretty.

I'm.wondering.if.someone.can.give.me.some.hints.before.i.ruin.my.bucket.lids.

thanks.so.much!:)

Slow the bit down, dont go full blast and steady pressure. Also, not putting punctuation between every word may help ;)

Welcome to the board, I am also from NJ.

Slow speed with a nice sharp paddle (wood) bit makes a nice clean hole. You will have to trim some flash from the edges, but that's easily done. 1/2" paddle bit is great for grommets. Going over 2", use a hole saw, but the edges won't be as smooth.

on flat surfaces, i've had great success just using a normal all-purpose twist bit, but back the plastic with a piece of wood, and start it slow. usually i end up with a little bit of a burr, but a box cutter cleans that up.

Maybe it's a Turing test for homebrewers. Either that, or it's Bender needing help with his Benderbrau.

benderbrau.jpg

Step bit or Unibit. It will make a perfect hole every time and size it exactly. Just don't go too far or your hole will be bigger than desired. I've watched many people ruin a brand new bucket with a paddle bit.

All the advice here is good...I just have one question, is your space key broken? :drunk:

you.got.it.

i.get.tired.of.explaining,so.i.tend.to.get.abused,as.in.here.

glad.to.give.some.net.friends.a.laugh...

thanks.so.much.everyone.for.the.terrific.hints!!

sorry.for.the.hard-to-read.post!

If you are looking for the cleanest edges on the holes, get a Forstner bit. They are like round punches or cork borers with a cutout to clear the shavings. I have a cheap Chinese set I got at Menards for something like $10 on sale. You can't beat them for giving smooth clean sides on the holes.

If you come back often, you can learn a lot here. If you visit often, you can also probably get some of us to take up a collection for your new keyboard!

ThreeDogsNE said:
If you are looking for the cleanest edges on the holes, get a Forstner bit. They are like round punches or cork borers with a cutout to clear the shavings. I have a cheap Chinese set I got at Menards for something like $10 on sale. You can't beat them for giving smooth clean sides on the holes.

If you come back often, you can learn a lot here. If you visit often, you can also probably get some of us to take up a collection for your new keyboard!

+1 forstner bits work great in anything but metal.

for my grommet, I used a smaller drill bit for a pilot hole, a larger drill bit (my largest, wasn't big enough), and then a 1/4 drum sander on my dremel...round and round until I was able to squeeze the grommet in there.

Back