Tribute recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogilthorpe2

The man in the black pajamas
Reaction score
My father loved Dark Beers and Manhattans.

He passed away from ALS a couple of weeks ago. I am planning to do a tribute beer that combines the flavor profiles of his two favorite adult beverages.

There is one commercially available example that I’m aware of...
https://untappd.com/b/pipeworks-brewing-company-brown-stirred/752215...not surprisingly, the brewers don’t seem anxious to share any details of their recipe.

So, I was hoping that the home brew talk community might chime in with some thoughts on how to best combine these flavors. I have a brewed a couple of solid brown ales that I think I can use as a base, but I’m not sure how to best go about bringing in the bitters and cherries subtly, but noticeably. I’m thinking since it’s a Manhattan inspired beer that it will be a “big” beer possibly in the 10% range, and I may want to add some bourbon flavor with soaked wood chips or something along those lines.

I usually brew 2.5 gallon batches in an Anvil Foundry, and I usually keg, although I am considering bottling and labeling (my brother, a graphic designer has already sent me a rough draft of the label for my approval) this batch both because of the extended aging time I’m anticipating and in order to give some away to my family.

Any input on how to make this recipe work would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for your loss, truly.

I think bourbon is a must if your going for a Manhattan inspired beer maybe something with a high rye profile like Bulleit to bring through that spice. My initial thoughts are for bitter notes maybe go with an early hop addition something clean but bitters solid like Newport, and some cherries after primary fermentation to get that note present in the beer and pull the sweetness from the bourbon and the malts. If your going to go big like 10% just remember to up everything else to bring balance to that bad boy that's a big beer. I do not know your expectation just sharing the first thoughts that popped into my head, but I find this to be an interesting project your considering.

Man, I am so sorry to read about your Father. What type of of darks (as there as LOTS).

For example, a brown? A Baltic? a Hazelnut Brown? A Porter? A Stout? etc...
He liked just about anything dark. Browns, stouts, porters, dopplebocks...I was thinking probably a strong porter as the base since I’ve had some really good success with those in the past.

Every time I’ve had a beer with cherry flavor in it, it comes off as tasting medicinal to me. Anyone have any ideas on infusing a subtle cherry flavor without it tasting like Nyquil?

My old man was not into the fancy bourbons. He was just as likely to use Jack, Beam or Seagrams 7 as anything else. That being the case, Jim Beam makes a black cherry flavored whiske...anyone think I could successful knock off two birds with one stone by using that? Or would it be too fake tasting?

Back